Internal Server Error after chaning the theme colour

I have had Nextcloud (12.0.2.0) working for some time without any issues.

I was playing around with some of the customisation, and changed the colour of the theme to something other than the default.

When I try to access Nextcloud now, I get:-

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request."

I enabled logging, and have found the below in the logs but am not sure how to proceed with this…

{“reqId”:“Vt0B3pwUwqmpS1GQvBGT”,“level”:3,“time”:“August 29, 2017 12:34:25”,“remoteAddr”:“5.153.255.250”,“user”:“djm”,“app”:“index”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/nextcloud/index.php/apps/files/”,“message”:“Exception: {"Exception":"OCP\\Files\\NotPermittedException","Message":"","Code":0,"Trace":"#0 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Files\/SimpleFS\/SimpleFile.php(104): OC\\Files\\Node\\File->delete()\n#1 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(252): OC\\Files\\SimpleFS\\SimpleFile->delete()\n#2 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(164): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->resetCache()\n#3 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(109): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->variablesChanged()\n#4 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/CSSResourceLocator.php(99): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->process(‘\/var\/www\/nextcl…’, ‘core\/css\/server…’, ‘core’)\n#5 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/CSSResourceLocator.php(56): OC\\Template\\CSSResourceLocator->cacheAndAppendScssIfExist(‘\/var\/www\/nextcl…’, ‘core\/css\/server…’)\n#6 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/ResourceLocator.php(75): OC\\Template\\CSSResourceLocator->doFind(‘css\/server’)\n#7 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/TemplateLayout.php(225): OC\\Template\\ResourceLocator->find(Array)\n#8 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/TemplateLayout.php(170): OC\\TemplateLayout::findStylesheetFiles(Array)\n#9 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/legacy\/template.php(205): OC\\TemplateLayout->__construct(‘user’, ‘files’)\n#10 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/public\/AppFramework\/Http\/TemplateResponse.php(157): OC_Template->fetchPage()\n#11 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/Http\/Dispatcher.php(113): OCP\\AppFramework\\Http\\TemplateResponse->render()\n#12 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/App.php(114): OC\\AppFramework\\Http\\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OCA\\Files\\Controller\\ViewController), ‘index’)\n#13 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/Routing\/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\\AppFramework\\App::main(‘ViewController’, ‘index’, Object(OC\\AppFramework\\DependencyInjection\\DIContainer), Array)\n#14 [internal function]: OC\\AppFramework\\Routing\\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array)\n#15 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Route\/Router.php(299): call_user_func(Object(OC\\AppFramework\\Routing\\RouteActionHandler), Array)\n#16 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php(1004): OC\\Route\\Router->match(‘\/apps\/files\/’)\n#17 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/index.php(48): OC::handleRequest()\n#18 {main}","File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Files\/Node\/File.php","Line":122}”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0”,“version”:“12.0.2.0”}
{“reqId”:“Vt0B3pwUwqmpS1GQvBGT”,“level”:3,“time”:“August 29, 2017 12:34:25”,“remoteAddr”:“5.153.255.250”,“user”:“djm”,“app”:“core”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/nextcloud/index.php/apps/files/”,“message”:“Exception: {"Exception":"OCP\\Files\\NotPermittedException","Message":"","Code":0,"Trace":"#0 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Files\/SimpleFS\/SimpleFile.php(104): OC\\Files\\Node\\File->delete()\n#1 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(252): OC\\Files\\SimpleFS\\SimpleFile->delete()\n#2 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(164): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->resetCache()\n#3 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(109): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->variablesChanged()\n#4 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/CSSResourceLocator.php(99): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->process(‘\/var\/www\/nextcl…’, ‘core\/css\/server…’, ‘core’)\n#5 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/CSSResourceLocator.php(56): OC\\Template\\CSSResourceLocator->cacheAndAppendScssIfExist(‘\/var\/www\/nextcl…’, ‘core\/css\/server…’)\n#6 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/ResourceLocator.php(75): OC\\Template\\CSSResourceLocator->doFind(‘css\/server’)\n#7 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/TemplateLayout.php(225): OC\\Template\\ResourceLocator->find(Array)\n#8 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/TemplateLayout.php(170): OC\\TemplateLayout::findStylesheetFiles(Array)\n#9 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/legacy\/template.php(205): OC\\TemplateLayout->__construct(‘user’, ‘files’)\n#10 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/public\/AppFramework\/Http\/TemplateResponse.php(157): OC_Template->fetchPage()\n#11 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/Http\/Dispatcher.php(113): OCP\\AppFramework\\Http\\TemplateResponse->render()\n#12 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/App.php(114): OC\\AppFramework\\Http\\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OCA\\Files\\Controller\\ViewController), ‘index’)\n#13 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/Routing\/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\\AppFramework\\App::main(‘ViewController’, ‘index’, Object(OC\\AppFramework\\DependencyInjection\\DIContainer), Array)\n#14 [internal function]: OC\\AppFramework\\Routing\\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array)\n#15 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Route\/Router.php(299): call_user_func(Object(OC\\AppFramework\\Routing\\RouteActionHandler), Array)\n#16 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php(1004): OC\\Route\\Router->match(‘\/apps\/files\/’)\n#17 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/index.php(48): OC::handleRequest()\n#18 {main}","File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Files\/Node\/File.php","Line":122}”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0”,“version”:“12.0.2.0”}
{“reqId”:“Vt0B3pwUwqmpS1GQvBGT”,“level”:3,“time”:“August 29, 2017 12:34:25”,“remoteAddr”:“5.153.255.250”,“user”:“djm”,“app”:“core”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/nextcloud/index.php/apps/files/”,“message”:“Exception: {"Exception":"OCP\\Files\\NotPermittedException","Message":"","Code":0,"Trace":"#0 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Files\/SimpleFS\/SimpleFile.php(104): OC\\Files\\Node\\File->delete()\n#1 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(252): OC\\Files\\SimpleFS\\SimpleFile->delete()\n#2 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(164): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->resetCache()\n#3 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/SCSSCacher.php(109): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->variablesChanged()\n#4 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/CSSResourceLocator.php(99): OC\\Template\\SCSSCacher->process(‘\/var\/www\/nextcl…’, ‘core\/css\/server…’, ‘core’)\n#5 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/CSSResourceLocator.php(56): OC\\Template\\CSSResourceLocator->cacheAndAppendScssIfExist(‘\/var\/www\/nextcl…’, ‘core\/css\/server…’)\n#6 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/ResourceLocator.php(75): OC\\Template\\CSSResourceLocator->doFind(‘css\/server’)\n#7 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/TemplateLayout.php(225): OC\\Template\\ResourceLocator->find(Array)\n#8 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/TemplateLayout.php(170): OC\\TemplateLayout::findStylesheetFiles(Array)\n#9 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/legacy\/template.php(205): OC\\TemplateLayout->__construct(‘error’, ‘’)\n#10 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Template\/Base.php(132): OC_Template->fetchPage()\n#11 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/legacy\/template.php(342): OC\\Template\\Base->printPage()\n#12 \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/index.php(67): OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage(Object(OCP\\Files\\NotPermittedException))\n#13 {main}","File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/Files\/Node\/File.php","Line":122}”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0”,“version”:“12.0.2.0”}

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can you reproduce this here: Demo instances of 9, 10, 11 and 12 now live

Is this your server, can you check the /var/log/apache2/error.log? Just check what is added when the error is produced.

Hi tflidd,

I have tried on one of the demo instances, and making the same change does not reproduce the error.

Yes, the server is managed by myself; The apache error log does not show any errors at all, there were a few in there but are unrelated to this issue (I rebooted the instance, and had made the schoolboy error or not setting the mount point in fstab, so there was some complaining!!!).

I did however set up logging for nextcloud, and had this log to /mnt/data/nextcloud.log which is where I see the above errors.

I think I am at the point of re-installing, and trying to re-import my data (although I do have it running side by side with Owncloud on a separate server so no real issue with starting from scratch). Will keep a snapshot though incase you need any more information.

Normally, you should have entries in your error log with internal server errors (except a full disk or something like that). What could be (wild guess) that some of your permissions are not correctly set and therefore NC doesn’t manage to load all the required code.

You can reproduce similar issue.
I just did it with NC 12 demo

In theme, keep selecting colours by saftly picking colours in colour palette.
After, let’s say, 20 Clicks, click on files icon.
You will see NC has memorized all the clicks and try to load preview of each click.
After a while, NC showed the error below.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.

More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details
Remote Address: 10.252.174.1
Request ID: DxJdeNZbgoGu5otEu4Tv