Installing on QNap NAS?

For the network connection my VM is configured to use the virtual switch.

As result the Linux OS Operating within the VM has its own IP Address within my network and its own exlusive Ports. There is no coupling or dependency to the QNAP OS and Services.

My Internet-Router simply forwards Port 80 and 443 to the IP Address of the Linux OS running within the VM.

P.S.: Port 80 because the automatic renewal of the let’s encrypt certificate requires this port.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer Mattias.

But you loose the Cloud functions of your QNAP NAS since they use port 80 and 443?
QSYNC and other tools are no more usables.
QNAP has the hability to manage CERT from Letsencrypt too and redirecting these port cut off this functionality.
So you don’t use QNAP Cloud?

Best,

So you don’t use QNAP Cloud?

Nextcloud offers all the Cloud Services I need (for files, contacts, notes, calendar). For avoiding to disclose Data (even if it is just metadata), I did and do not use QNAP Cloud.

Though I am curious now :slight_smile: . Are there services QNAP Cloud can offer, which Nextcloud does not ?

But you loose the Cloud functions of your QNAP NAS since they use port 80 and 443?

My answer is as result not proven in reality, but should be sound nonetheless.

The use of a virtual Ethernet Switch (works similar to a e.g. small 5 port Switch from TP-Link, but just in SW inside the QNAP) to connect the VM, results in two separate Computers from network point of view.

The QNAP NAS and the VM. Both having their own IP Address and Protocol Stack.

• QNAP NAS: 192.168.178.21
  • Nexctcloud VM (hosted by QNAP NAS): 192.168.178.22

As result there is no port conflict (e.g. for 80 and 443) and all the QNAP NAS Services should be fully usable.

1 Like

Nope :slight_smile:
I had plenty of sync problems with Qsync. So I migrate to Nextcloud :slight_smile:

How about using docker or app(Stephane version) compared to VM? Because my QNAP is ARM based cpu (ARMx41).

How to sync with local nextcloud when I am outside of home?

Thank you.

The thing about Docker containers are that they have no updating mechanism like snaps have. For ease of future maintenance (trying to think longer term), I wanted to install a snap, not a Docker container, on a QNAP TS-251A, and I was able to do it.

I installed the Nextcloud 13 “Candidate” snap (talked about here). To use snapd, I installed it inside a Linux Virtual Machine (using Debian 9.3, which was current at the time of installation), which I created from scratch on the QNAP . Perhaps this approach might sounds a bit old fashioned, but it proved to be the most straightforward and quick method after going down several unproductive rabbit holes. I suggest that this is actually the easiest fastest way to install Nextcloud on a QNAP, for those who already have good working knowledge of installing and administering a linux server, and are already familiar with a virtualization tool such as Virtualbox.

The QNAP has a default “App” (called “Container Station”) for installing containers (Docker, and/or LXC), but it can create Virtual Machines as well, if you install “Virtualization Station” in the QNAP’s “App Center” (in the web admin interface, both circled in Red here):

Here is what Virtualization Station looks like, below. It’s awesome:

It had all the toys I needed to manage the VM easily, like console access (right through the web admin interface!), and a graphical desktop inside the VM will work from that console. I can also do snapshots of the VM!

I don’t recommend downloading and trying to use a pre-made VM from the Internet (since using this approach, you probably won’t really save any time, and will probably get into a mess). Instead, I recommend just creating a new VM from scratch (“Create VM” button is circled in Red above), just using the VM format that “Virtualization Station” prefers to use natively. Then VM snapshots will be sure to work!

My entire Nextcloud install took about 9 hours, but if I had to do it all over again, following the straightforward advice above, it probably would have taken me, like 6ish hours (not wasting time with failed approaches). I have advanced knowledge of administering Debian linux servers, so there was no learning curve for me there. Use whatever distro you like most, the important thing is that you can install snapd in that distro (which gives you MANY options).

Care to receive some compensation to install on my qnap?

Sorry, can’t take you up on your offer. My SysAdmin days are over (doing it for money, as a professional job). My Nextcloud server is pretty much just for my own personal use, on a hobby-like basis.

You could use the Nextcloud OVA image from TechAndMe and import it to your Qnap:

1 Like

Word to the wise, on your Qnap appliance, at present, DO NOT try to uninstall the “Container Station” app (thinking, you no longer need it, considering that all you need is “Virtualization Station”), or your Qnap will freeze badly.

See: Container Station uninstall stuck

I have a QNAP TS-253Be and I’m wondering if the VM is still the best way to install NC onto my NAS? I noticed that this post is a bit dated.

I’ve tried to install QNAP Stephane’s NC .qpkg but its too complicated for my level of technical knowledge. So Im trying to find a more practicle and managable way of installing and using NC on my QNAP.

Any reply’s are welcomed.

I suggest yes, make a good old VM, and then install Nextcloud using snapd inside it. The ability to snapshot your VM before Nextcloud installation and upgrades will be well worth the hassle of creating a VM. Having snapshot ability (somehow or other) will not go out of style, IMHO.

My original Nextcloud VM (posted about, above) is still running well, and I rely on it daily.

Regarding snapshots that should be possible in the QNAP interface as well IIRC. That snapshots the whole system, and not just the Nextcloud “snap”.

And yeah, the Nextcloud VM can be used to install on a QNAP.

1 Like

I’m running NextCloud on two different QNAP boxes: TVS-673e and TS-473.
But I did it the “hard” way - Linux (Ubuntu) VM first, LEMP stack, NC, create second drive (img), mount it, set it as data directory…
This way, in case of the VM rendered un-bootable, I can always add the second drive (i.e. data directory) to any other Linux VM, mount it, and recover all the files.

A few weeks ago Ubuntu 18.04 got its OpenSSL package updated to 1.1.1 and now Let’s Encrypt SSL cert shows TLS 1.3, X25519, and AES_256_GCM credentials.

I have a few more NC installs in vSphere 6.5/6.7 environment where the same setup procedure was used…

Has anyone got a complete YAML for an application setup within container station docker?

I can get SQL Lite working but getting a connection to main SQLDB or dedicated SQL dB in the app image doesn’t work for me. I can share the draft YAML if it helps?

Is this solution still up to date for installing Nextcloud on a QNAP?

Hi @Klagio

Yes, that should still be a valid and easy solution for QNAP NAS.
Just make sure you download the *.OVA version of the VM, because this is a format QNAP Virtualization Station supports to import:

Virtualization Station supports importing and exporting VMs. The *.ova, *.ovf and *.vmx formats are supported by VMs exported from VirtualBox and VMWare

(source: How to import and export virtual machines (VM) to/from Virtualization Station (including importing virtual machines from on-line VM markets) ? | QNAP)

Hi, it works perfectly locally, unfortunately not from remote (for now I solve with a VPN)

Myu situation is the following

On my router I forward port 80 and 443 to my host with NGINX PROXY MANAGER, with letsencrypt certificates.
My remote address for my nextcloud installation on QNAP is my-nextcloud-server.duckdns.org
NGINX PROXY manager routes https://my-nextcloud-server.duckdns.org to http;//192.168.1.235:80
QNAP address is http://192.168.1.24:8080 with virtual switch to nextcloud VM to 192.168.1.235 (see attached picture)

From remote when I enter in my browser https://my-nextcloud-server.duckdns.org I receive

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

How can I solve this?

Just another confirmation that this still works. Last weekend I used the .OVA package imported into Virtualization Station on a TS-673 running QTS 4.4.3. On import, I gave it two cores and 8GB of RAM. I left the network card type at e1000, it didn’t work if I selected virtio. I changed the network to virtio after the initial install. For the virtual disks, those worked with the virtio type right away.

I run one NC instance on QNAP TS-673.
Installed manually: Ubuntu 18.04 + NC, since v.14.

Working just as well as instances on ESXi… Today updated to 19.0.1…