Installation of NextCloud 21

Hello,
I am an happy user of nextcloud. I initially installed the version 20, then upgraded each version til 20.8
I see that Nextcloud 21 is out, but it is not proposed throught the standard version upgrade.
Do I need to wait ? Do you know when it will be proposed ?

Thank you,

Laurent.

Hi @laurent06, you have 2 choices:

• you can wait for the updater to offer you the update

or

• Install NC21 through the beta channel and then return to the stable channel.

you should know that the update is deployed progressively.

1 Like

OK Thanks,
I will then wait.

Laurent.

2 Likes

You can also install the update manually if you really want to. The basic gist of it is that you download the archive, stop your webserver, rename the existing nextcloud folder to something like nextcloud-old, extract the archive of the new version and rename/move it accordingly so that it replaces your old version, copy your old config.php file into the new folder (and your data folder if it is contained within the Nextcloud web root), set some file permissions, run some occ commands, restart your webserver.

This is how I did it because I like to make sure I’m always running the latest “stable” release. There are official instructions on doing a manual upgrade here:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/21/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html

Side note. You’ll also probably have to make a few tweaks to make use of new database indices and such. Just go to your “Overview” page and it basically gives you baby step instructions on things to fix in order to take full advantage of new features in the new version.

Thanks Gerowen for the explanations.

I am not in a hurry. I was wondering why I wan’t proposed the new version, but it seems that it is normal. Then I will wait and let the installer do its job.

Thanks,

Hello,

After a couple of month of waiting, I am still not proposed to migrate to NextCloud 21.
I am proposed to update to the 20.0.x branch (I have updated to 20.0.10)
Is there a way to triger the installation of Nextcloud 21 ?

Thanks,

Laurent.

Hi @laurent06

You could upgrade manually via command line…

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html

…or you could switch to the Beta channel in the WebGUI. At the moment it offers you 21.0.2 stable. Don’t forget to switch back to the stable channel after you did the upgrade.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

@laurent06, if you use pdf viewer, I think you have to upgrade manually to 21.0.1 at the moment. there is an issue with it on the 21.0.2 version.

1 Like

@Mageunic That’s a good point!

Too late :blush:

I have successfully upgraded to 21.0.2

I will test it and see if this is blocking.

Thanks,

Laurent.

Well,
I am using the epub reader to view the pdf. So far so good !
Thanks.

2 Likes