Improving `Should I use a Raspberry Pi` documentation

Continuing the discussion from Best cheap hardware to run Nextcloud on?:

@CorentinLemaitre I figured we’ve move the conversation here on improving this documentation. You are also welcome to join telegram as mentioned in this other thread.

I’ve posted the text below and changed it into a wiki-post, which means you can edit it yourself if you are Trust lvl 1+. See if this works…

1 Like

Hi, I’m looking to use NextcloudPi; should I use a Raspberry Pi?

You certainly can! The latest Pi model will have better performance, but has a few downsides as nicely described in What’s Wrong with the Raspberry Pi . If you want to learn more about rpi’s power requirements, this article will be of use.

• Pi 4 reported to run well with multiple users.
    • 64-bit. 4gb model recommended.
    • Resolves bus issue.
    • USB 3.0 support greatly improves speeds.
  • Pi 3b+ works slightly better
    • gigabit ethernet, but is hampered by a shared usb bus with USB 2.0 storage.
    • Not recommended, but does work slowly.
  • Pi 2 and 3 models work just okay.
  • Pi 1 and Zero had very low performance, and are no longer supported.

Note: armv6 is no longer supported!

Best ARM Device for NextcloudPi

The best ARM device is not a Raspberry Pi! Surprise! It is a great device, but competition is heavy these days.

For price vs. performance the most popular NextcloudPi ARM Devices are:

• Rock64 – same price as the Raspberry Pi 3b
  • ODROID HC-1 – 2.5" Hard Disk support for $49.00
  • ODROID HC-2 – 3.5" Hard Disk support for $55.00

Cool idea. Unfortunately i just joined the forum, i can view the edit but not edit it my self…
I have seen your edition and it is clear to me and would be helpfull for many i hope.

Just may be on the documentation it could be great to get the last edition date to understand context. And may be the title “Best ARM Devices for Nextcloud” could be modified as the raspberry 4 is now not so far from other board. May be something like : “Better ARM device for Nextcloud.”

Hi, I’m looking to use NextcloudPi; should I use a Raspberry Pi?

You certainly can! The latest Pi model will have better performance, but has a few downsides as nicely described in What’s Wrong with the Raspberry Pi . If you want to learn more about rpi’s power requirements, this article will be of use.

• Pi 4 reported to run well with multiple users.
    • 64-bit. 4gb model recommended.
    • Resolves bus issue.
    • USB 3.0 support greatly improves speeds.
  • Pi 3b+ works slightly better
    • gigabit ethernet, but is hampered by a shared usb bus with USB 2.0 storage.
    • Not recommended, but does work slowly.
  • Pi 2 and 3 models work just okay.
  • Pi 1 and Zero had very low performance, and are no longer supported.

Note: armv6 is no longer supported!

Better ARM Device for NextcloudPi

The best ARM device is not a Raspberry Pi! Surprise! It is a great device, but competition is heavy these days.

For price vs. performance the most popular NextcloudPi ARM Devices are:

• Rock64 – same price as the Raspberry Pi 3b
  • ODROID HC-1 – 2.5" Hard Disk support for $49.00
  • ODROID HC-2 – 3.5" Hard Disk support for $55.00

I think the new Pi needs a fan. Perhaps an argument against Pi4.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2019/raspberry-pi-4-needs-fan-heres-why-and-how-you-can-add-one