HubZilla, an interesting selfhosted social network companion to your Nextcloud

There is also build in ActivityPub support (to allow federation with Mastodon etc.)… so indeed federated file sharing might work.

Edit: Got an reply from the HubZilla creator:

You should be able to interact just fine with their most recent releases if you install the ‘pubcrawl’ addon (the Hubzilla ActivityPub plugin).
Try it and let us know. Bonus points for writing a detailed bug report if you encounter difficulty.
Our applications use completely different and incompatible mechanisms for access control so sharing files with privacy controls may have problems. Public files should work fine.

3 Likes

Pretty cool… Keep us updated if it works…

2 Likes

Webfinger ActivityPub adresses like used by Nextcloud have been just implemented in Hubzilla (version 3.4 RC4). Need to update my instance before I can test it though.

2 Likes

I’m testing Hubzilla, and it shows unbelievable promise! Here is a post where I attached a photo from a Nextcloud web url with zero difficulty.

2 Likes

What do you mean exactly with attaching? Via ActivityPub? Or WebDAV?

2 Likes

I’m not sure. I know that Hubzilla supports both ActivityPub and WebDAV. You are welcome to join testing it here. Just register a free account and hop on Matrix/Hubzilla as detailed on the post and website.
https://forum.disroot.org/t/proposal-community-effort-hubzilla-social-plaform-with-great-potential/3325

2 Likes

I think he/she used just the shared link - which supports social media previews in Nextcloud 13 :wink:

2 Likes

Correct, it was very simple to share the photo. Happy to say it displayed perfectly in Hubzilla. Huge amounts of potential there!

Hubzilla sees many other federated protocols and supports XMPP chat… so would it be possible to federate with Nextcloud Talk over XMPP? I haven’t used that app yet. I’m happy to file a feature request, etc.

1 Like

Nextcloud Talk doesn’t support XMPP yet :stuck_out_tongue:
Neither does Hubzilla really… it is not geared towards real-time chat. But there is plugin for Hubzilla based on ConverseJS that gives you a nice XMPP chat on your Hubzilla instance.

2 Likes

For now, federated filesharing is still not working, if I input the webfinger address of my HubZilla instance (v3.4.2) into a Nextcloud sharing dialog it shows an error.

1 Like

Does HubZilla support the Federated Cloud Sharing/OCM protocol of Nextcloud/Pydio/CernBox/ownCloud?

I was originally under the impression that this was just a type of ActivityPub which is supported by HubZilla, but apparently this isn’t quite true. I started a thread over at their developers forum ( https://project.hubzilla.org/channel/hubzilla ) though to see if they are interested to implement OCM on top of their existing federated and webdav capable file sharing system.

1 Like

Is there a direct link you could share? I couldn’t find the thread in the Developer forum.

Hasn’t been really taken up, so no point in sharing it :frowning:

Actually, it is now being discussed on both the developer and support forums. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Submitted a request for Nextcloud to adopt the Zot/6 Protocol which is already used successfully via PHP in Hubzilla iirc.

• Mirror / Merge / Migrate users accounts across multiple servers for faster access times
  • Preventing single point of failure when a user’s server goes down
  • Promoting free speech
  • Greater Decentralization
1 Like

Except that it requires top level domain installation :frowning: I do not understand why they keep forcing this kind of shit on us

No it does not. You can easily install Hubzilla on a sub-domain. If you are taking about sub-directories… yes that might not work. But that is a huge hassle to configure properly and a potential security risk anyway. If you are still putting your websites in sub-directories instead of subdomains you should change your approach :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps another platform we could look at in terms of moving forward is the new Solid platform proposed by Tim Berners-Lee, the godfather of the internet.

Well actually, Solid isn’t that new, it’s been around for a few years but now it looks like they cranking up their activity and it’s been in the press the last few days and makes for an interesting platform to have a look at, particularly around the decentralisation of the internet.

Sounds pretty interesting; I need to set up a Hubzilla server, though know really why I would in light of the fact I already have so much of a social media presence already.