Hub 4 pioneers ethical AI integration for a more productive and collaborative future

Itā€™s a separate setup. Some food ahrevim the GitHub repo for talk.

Regarding e2ee. Is the shaing function now available for all or only for file drop (enterprise) ?

If available, can we use it without any risk? By writing risk, there were alot of negative feedback thath it doesnā€™t work correctly. I made also the same experience.

I canā€™t see the upgrade when running the updater.phar, How can I upgrade to from version 25 to 26? I canā€™t find anything explicit in the documentation.

Note that I am not running the docker version. Installed nextcloud on baremetal.

When you switch to the beta channel you should see the latest version. Switch back after the upgrade.

Weā€™re running a staged rollout strategy, to be able to detect and react to unidentified issues that may be serious enough to require intervention. Up until today the update was offered to about 30% of existing installations, since today weā€™re up at 70%.

2 Likes

Looks almost like a f*rt in a hot skillet, guys.

AI? Why do I need THAT. Itā€™s not really intelligent- itā€™s crazy *ss math that does pattern recognition that can be faked out and confused. Whatever happened to NextCloud Social, hm? Can you just settle on doing ONE thing right? Being a replacement for G-Suite, hm?

I canā€™t even stably get document edit working on this stuff and Iā€™m using a pretty beastly X86 server to do it with. If you canā€™t manage this much with something that can be for home/SOHO uses on the free side, WHAT USE ARE Yā€™ALL?

1 Like

Careful I train ai to love me
Forgove me I am typing in the Dark on my android 11 99 aud phone
Forum not up to speed :disappointed:
I pay 5 Australia and for a scrap PC at rubbish tip 100 km away from me

1 Like

I agree with @marcelrobitaille and @nerdneedshelp, the announcement of new features and the overall growth of the platform are clearly interesting and helpful. But:

• What gets lost to some at the Nextcloud HQ is taking into account the lens of the low-end users who use Nextcloud for private purposes, small non-profit organizations and small businesses. Yes, all these new features are nice, but if I need to install this and that and ensure this server is running etc. it does not scale any more at some point.
  • Similarly, it is disappointing, that some existing features and components do not get the attention that the community expects. For instance, the issue of Ransomware protection seems to be out of focus despite being a relevant threat to many users and despite being a core project maintained by Nextcloud (see for instance šŸ› ļø State of maintenance Ā· Issue #144 Ā· nextcloud/ransomware_protection Ā· GitHub).
  • The same holds for some core features (bulk upload / auto sync from mobile devices where it seems as if the App still tries to upload all files (which takes a lot of time and data ) instead of efficiently checking first which files need to be uploaded at all.
  • Very similar, even the ā€œsmallā€ Nextcloud office solution using the built-in Code server (How to Install Nextcloud Office - Nextcloud) are not well-maintained: In that case the required (metadata) updates are still missing which allow upgrading a Nextcloud instance to NC26. (Btw: For people who started using the ā€œOffice featureā€ using OnlyOffice, the switch to Collabora was not really well communicated. In general, it would be appreciated a lot if future release annoucements do not only sell the new features to non-Nextcloud users but if there are concrete explanations and instructions on how to enable the new features on existing instances).

So to summarize, new features are appreciated, but please do not only look at large corporate users but keep the ā€œsmall business / privateā€ users in mind as well in future developments.

4 Likes

Hi there,
is there anyone whoā€™s been able to configure the new breakout room feature in Talk?

As for me I do not have the corresponding item in the drop down menu. Thereā€™s just ā€œfull screenā€, ā€œrename conversationā€ and ā€œconversation settingsā€.

Talk update says that ā€œModerators can now create breakout rooms (requires the external signaling server)ā€. Does ā€œexternal signaling serverā€ mean a for-profit hosted solution and not the self hosted high performance backend?

Thanks,

The hpb fƶr talk is opensource and that is needed for breakout rooms.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good news because Iā€™ve got HPB up and running. But nevertheless, Iā€™m missing the option to configure breakout rooms.

You can only use it in private room. So it wonā€™t work if itā€™s open with a link.

If hpb fƶr talk is working correctly (and are the latest version) check so the room is not shared.

In the announcement itā€™s mentioned that the AI features of NextCloud are built with privacy in mind. According to the description and posts here, it looks like a cheap OpenAI integration where I donā€™t see how it is privacy-wise a good solution. Is it correct that this all relies on OpenAI or is it more about this plug-in which indeed uses a local AI setup: https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/recognize?

Have a look at our blog post about AI and transparency: Nextcloud Ethical AI Rating - Nextcloud

Basically, we are looking for alternatives, but we want to offer what is available and try to be transparent about it. Weā€™re still working on getting the rating in the app store.

1 Like

Hi @b-pfl ,
Thanks for your feedback! We can certainly do better on the points you mention. Iā€™ve made a note to see if we can do a better job explaining how to use/enable the features we promote.
With regards to development focus (enterprise) and marketing focus (new users) - we of course try to balance. And, I suppose, if youā€™re a private user itā€™ll always be too much enterprise and the other way around for enterprise users. But we put in effort to keep Nextcloud usable for private users - like, with the All-in-one, the backup app and many other things. And there will be more.

I hope you can have some patience with us while we try to improve things for both home and enterprise users!

1 Like

Talking about ā€œethical AIā€ in the same post that you brag about adding new DIGITAL PLAGIARISM and COPYRIGHT VIOLATION tools is really bizarre. Your idea of ethics is limited if you donā€™t see the moral implications of using othersā€™ work without their knowledge or consent the way ChatGPT, DALL-E, and other writer/artist-violating tools function.