HowTo: Install Collabora Online on Ubuntu 16.04. (without Docker!)

@Pisoko What are the advantages of installing Collabora Online without Docker?

More power?

@Sanook I already thouht that a self compiled version runs faster than the docker container. But is it really worth it? So how big is the gain?
For self-compiling you’ll need a lot more disk space (just the dependencies for LO are as big as the docker image) and I think that it is harder to maintain.

I presume the biggest gain is it comes without the throttling and 10 user limit that the docker container enforces.

1 Like

I don’t know of any docker containers that are built for ARM hardware. I’m attempting to build a raspberry pi server using these instructions now due to this issue. So you would build this from scratch if either the hardware the docker container is built on is not supported, or if you need to customize it significantly in any way. I’m attempting to run this on a dedicated raspberry pi server. So my raspberry pi is my “container” in my case. I searched, and this was the best solution I have found so far to run this type of server on a Raspberry Pi. If anybody has any more information about that, I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only person interested.

I was completely unaware of any “throttling” in the docker container. Is this true? Why would there be any “throttling” and a 10 user limit?

1 Like

Yeah a Arm collabora container would be brilliant.

I can not give you definites as its all a little hazy from Collabora, but by users.

I found this which is actually the reverse of what we need.
https://sedden.github.io/blog/2016/04/11/automated-builds-for-arm-docker-containers-on-intel-hosts/
But it is the reverse and so do we only need qemu-x86-static and the reverse is true?

The Resin.io forums have a lot of community info on raspbian containers.
https://forums.resin.io/c/projects

https://hub.docker.com/r/ioft/armhf-ubuntu/

https://hub.docker.com/r/forumi0721alpinearmhf/alpine-armhf-nginx/

PS slightly tangential but something that might be of interest to the RPi community.

https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/2016/12/18/chromiumos-builds-for-rpi/

Are you trying to get somebody to build a dockers image? I don’t see why you posted all that stuff otherwise. The post about chromium is off topic.

You asked a question and I answered.

“I was completely unaware of any “throttling” in the docker container. Is this true? Why would there be any “throttling” and a 10 user limit?”

On x86 Arm containers can be provided by using qemu.
On ArmHf if that its true then can the reverse not be done by the same.

Yes Arm containers do exist and there are some.

Yes it was off topic and I did say so but might be of interest to RPi fans.

I am interested in ArmHf and currently the removal of the Document app and a Docker container will not run on Arm is a huge stopper.

Yes I would like Collabora to build an ArmHf container or maybe it might be possible to run the x86 one through Qemu emulation.

OK. I meant Docker containers with Collabora built in them. I know that docker is running very well on the pi. I’ve built some myself.

I am looking at some of the newer 64bit TV-boxes and I completely agree with you, as its not just RPi, phones, TV boxes, SBC and Arm is making roads into data centers.
Doesn’t make sense for Collabora, not to provide a container for Arm hosts.

Yeah I just posted a few Arm host containers as they are a bit thin on the ground.

Hey guys,

I tried to install Collabora with this Tutorial but i stuck at step 2. loolwsd is missing. I read the comments and found out that there are files in wsd. I moved them from that directory. But when I try make I get the error " loolwsd ‘configure.ac’ is required".

Any hints how I can solve this?

Kind regards

Like @Christopher_Swain and @NextTyrael I’m experiencing the following and therefore can’t compile wsd/loolwsd:

@Pisoko or someone else: can you give as a hint what to do?

I was attempting to compile this on a Raspberry Pi that I am testing, but it is taking forever. I see in the GIT repository that that directory is gone. It looks like they might have changed the name from loolwsd to just wsd? So just replace all the references in the instructions from loolwsd to wsd? I can’t seem to test it at the moment.

@twentyninehairs Yes they’ve changed the directory name. But thats not the problem. Aclocal can’t find the file configure.ac. As you can see in the git there is no such file. Therefore the build process can’t be proceeded at the moment.

I have had that prob before and you run out of memory you need to start the pi without a desktop and then run.
In fact compiling anything, do it without the desktop as with 1gb it is short of memory, when it gets low it grabs back caches and buffers and becomes a complete dog.

Oh, right. Sorry, missed that detail. So maybe that is a dynamically generated file during the make? Did part of the make crash, and not create that file?

Is it possible to install Collabora without root access?

@Hanzei The short answer to your question is no. :slight_smile: That is, if you don’t already know, then definitely not. I suppose if your server already happened to have all the prerequisites in place, maybe, but that’s almost definitely a no.

I was attempting to build this on a Raspberry Pi 1 B (512mb RAM) as just a test before buying a Pi 3 to run a real server from. After several off and on attempts, I found that first GIT clone was causing my Pi to run out of memory and start swapping. (I have a swap partition.) I didn’t really know what was going on until I really sat down and dug into it. It was swapping throughout the process, and would crash halfway through. Maybe I should just download the files to another computer, then transfer them to the Pi, I suppose. I did build a more robust swap system on a flash drive; we’ll see if that works first. This is taking a long time though for a test that might not work, though.

I’m running DietPi for the stripped OS, and I don’t install any UI stuff. DietPi is amazing software for the Pi, by the way. The developer did a really good job.