How to fix config permission?

Same issue here.
Downgrading php (*, fpm, …( back to 7.3 is also not possible as nextcloud 18 seems to require php >= 7.4.
And downgrading nextcloud to 17 does also not work…

Please help us; it’s really bad to perform an update and then be unable to have a running instance!

I cannot confirm this assumption, because I’ve just upgrade a system with PHP 7.3 installed without any problem. The prerequisites of Nextcloud 18 are confirming that at least PHP 7.1 - 7.3 are working. Afaik support for PHP 7.4 has been added in the meantime too.

I found a solution here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1875352#p1875352

Set following settings in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/php-fpm.service and reload/restart the service.

ProtectHome=false
ProtectSystem=false

The better solution IMO is to move the actual config dir into the Nextcloud dir instead of having symlinks across the system directory structure. There is a good reason why many systemd units have those protection settings to deny access to /home /etc and other sensible directories. Keeping webserver + PHP access limited to the webroot only is safest and cleanest.

1 Like

Not sure it’s a god idea to keep your home folder unprotected, unless you have nothing else than nextcloud data.

Something like this sould prevent others folders to be accessible from php-fpm.

ProtectHome=tmpfs
BindPaths=/home/your-nextcloud-folder

If you have more folders that need to be accessible, just add the others paths.
For the config file, you can add

ReadWritePaths = /etc/webapps/nextcloud/config/

so no others files will be accessible to php-fpm.

I had a look at my file system, and for me (ArchARM) the config was indeed symlinked.

$ ls -l /usr/share/webapps/nextcloud/config
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root http 29 Jan 24 16:44 /usr/share/webapps/nextcloud/config -> /etc/webapps/nextcloud/config

I tried removing the symlink and copying the folder, but this did not fix the error. However, as above, adding ProtectSystem=false to /usr/lib/systemd/system/php-fpm.service, then systemctl daemon-reload; systemctl restart php-fpm.service fixed it for me.

Is there a cleaner/safer way to fix this?

This worked for me: Nextcloud - ArchWiki

2 Likes

Brilliant. That works perfectly. Thank you!

Jep the ReadWritePath solution is definitely better than disabling the ProtectSystem security option completely. If this symlink is intended default, then /etc/webapps should be added as ReadWritePath to the php package be default? :thinking: