How to edit Nextcloud files on Android

https://plus.google.com/communities/105920999925403422688 - first post. Though itā€™s old and maybe he changed his mindā€¦

Thanks @SolarDesalination! While reading the post besides the comment you already made about the timeframe since this has been announced from a technical point of view this wonā€™t help since the author mentioned open sourcing the cloud API part which is essentially ā€œjustā€ the code that deals with the client/server communication while the sync-implementation would still be closed source :confused:

Like a previous post mentioned, using a WebDAV client such as ES File Explorer to edit files works. A good Microsoft office alternative is WPS office. No need to convert xlsx to odt or so. In fact WPS has native. WebDAV support :slight_smile:

@anon9582441 can WPS (or ES File Explorer) edit odt files directly? I use odt a lot.

Seems that WPS uses an online service to convert odt files when opening so it wonā€™t save it as an odt. You could try polaris office.

Hi all, is anyone still looking at this? Iā€™ve tried the Android app today, and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m finding it pretty much useless, as most documents are .docx or .xls and even if I open them in Microsoft Word and Excel, there is no way of saving the changes back to NC. This is a real shame, since NC desktop and web are amazing.

Hi guys,

I found a quite simple and easy way of ā€œsavingā€ files back to NC after editing on Android.
I deployed my NC server, desktop and mobile clients a few months ago and it works the same since the beginning.
Let me explain :

• I open the Nextcloud app for Android, navigate to a file and open it.
    For example, I open an Excel file and since I have two apps installed for this filetype, Android asks me which one to use. I choose MS Excel in this example but I guess other apps should do the same.
  • I make some changes to the sheet and then save the file.
  • In the Nextcloud app, I still see the file ā€œunchangedā€ even after refreshing the view.
  • I click as if I would open the same file again but abort the app choice.
  • file size and ā€œtimestampā€ are updated in the Nextcloud app.

Yes, itā€™s a bit strange but it works ! :wink:

I use the android app WPS Office . go into options: Files Manage => Cloud => Add WebDav/FTP . Add your Nextcloud webdav settings.
Itā€™s working great for me.