Hi guys and some basic question

Nextcloud version 12
Operating system and version Ubuntu 16.04
Apache 2
PHP version 7.0

Hi guys I have successfully installed nextcloud on my ubuntu Server.
I’m sure somebody else had already the same question, but I don’t know how to search for this topic … Sry

I installed nextcloud on my system disk, but I want to move or link the folders of the users (data) to a different harddrive.
Is this possible?
Can I make afterwords a SMB sharing for the user folders?

I installed nextcloud on my system disk, but I want to move or link the folders of the users (data) to a different harddrive.
Is this possible?

Sure. Just adjust the nextcloud config.

Can I make afterwords a SMB sharing for the user folders?

You can do that but nextcloud does not recognize changes on that samba share if you do not use the nextcloud client or the webbrowser when you upload files. you have to manually scan for changes.

Ok perfect thank you,
Will the path movement affect the DB?

1. Move the folder
  2. Change the rights
  3. Change nextcloud conifg

Is this the correct workflow? Or did i forget something?

If you’re talking about moving the whole data directory:

If you want to add external folders to Nextcloud in addition, look at the external storage plugin.

guys your are great, thanks a lot
it is working perfectly

1 Like

just one more question, is their a way to move nextcloud to a different port?

Yes, a quick Google on Apache ports should tell you how to do that, but it’s basically just adding a new listening port.

yeah i was searching for it, and found also some basic stuff, i tried also to implement this to my
/etc/apache2/sites-available/nextcloud.conf

my idea is, ida change the port of nextcloud, or change the ip adress and port, because as far as i read, this should be also no problem with the virtual hosts

this is the original nextcloud.conf:
Alias /nextcloud “/var/www/nextcloud/”
<Directory /var/www/nextcloud/>
Options +FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride All

Dav off

SetEnv Home /var/www/nextcloud
SetEnv HTTP_HOME /var/www/nextcloud

when i added the virtual host stuff, sometimes apache was not more working at all, or in other cases, their was no change to the actual setup…