Has there anyone running Nextcloud in docker with ipv6?

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 22.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 21.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): unknown (from docker image)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): unknown (from docker image)
Docker version: 20.10.2

The issue you are facing:

I am not able to connect to my local Nextcloud from any smartphone outside my network. Inside my network anything seems fine. So far the problem seems to be ipv6. My domain resolves to ipv4 and ipv6 addresses, but is not reachable with ipv6. It resolves to the local ipv6 address of the ethernet adapter of the docker host.

As far as I see, docker currently does not run with ipv6 support. So only ipv4 will be routed within the container networks. I activated ipv6 support with /etc/docker/daemon.json and restarted docker. The docker0 interface now has a ipv6 address. But I could not find out what to add to my docker-compose file.

I use traefik for routing, which should be able to handle ipv6 as well.

Is there anyone who succeeded in configuring ipv6 with docker and nextcloud?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Personally I never had problems from outside only from internal network. But take care you need to open the ports for IPv6 additionally to IPv4 ports… take a look at this thread maybe it helps.

Thanks for the hint. The cause was a bug in the docker daemon. Version 20.10.2 (default, e.g. in Ubuntu 21.04) didn’t open ipv6 ports. An updated version is now available. Ubuntu also delivers an updated version 20.10.7. After updating, Nextcloud again works with ipv6.

1 Like