Hansson Nextcloud VM - Update from v24 to v25 failed because terminated SSH session?

Well… right not everybody’s from GER. The major meaning of what I was trying to get through was: 60€ might sound like much but it’s worth every cent. You’ll get good work done for that. And to be honest… it might sound much at some countries but over here in Western Europe I’m afraid it isn’t really much anymore. Many handymen would charge you around the same amount. With or without expensive equipment (mostly an additional extra-fee on top of all) nor with a large facility.
But that’s getting too much off topic, now. We can discuss that at another place and time :wink:

please take this possitive it is not your fault that people are primative.

after you launched ssh you should start a screen session before the update command this whould have solved all your problems. It’s lack of knowledge that created the problem in the first place do not blame it on linux.

https://www.google.com/search?q=screen+command

4 Likes

@bunk4 An alternative to screen would be tmux, which works similar but maybe is a bit more user friendly…

$ tmux
$ ./run-some-long-running-script.sh

SSH connection drops for some reason :frowning:

Log back in to your server

$ tmux ls
0: 1 windows (created Sat Dec 31 10:47:18 2022)
$ tmux attach -t 0

And you’re back in the perviously created tmux session :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I understand what you mean. But we are talking about my private Cloud and not about expensive things like cars. And I am from Germany and 120€ an hour is still very much, even when you are from Germany. At the end it was a 5 minute job. I paid 60€ for 5 minutes.

But as another user wrote: Because of the 60€ I learned how important it is to do backups. And this was good. Next time I will buy some support from other person. But I needed fast support, so thats why I paid the 60€.

well… I think you got a bit of a biassed conception of how such prices would come together.

Like you don’t pay for the actual amount of time it took him to fix your problem. But you paid for the years and years it took him to get that good to being able to find out as quickly what was wrong and fix that. Plus you paid a part of his machines he needed to help you, you paid for his office stuff, his insurances, his taxes, etc. That all comes with this amount.
And if you’d compare it to a german locksmith, roofer, heating engineer, carpenter, painter, etc you’d be at the same levels than them.

Please don’t make him look greedy as he really isn’t greedy… after all he helped you immediately and he really fixed the problem.

3 Likes

TMUX is an absolute godsend in the ssh world. It also allows you run several “window” SSH sessions with TMUX.

I’ve been lucky that I run Nextcloud as a VM in ProxMox so I can actually open the screen from the console and run the updates from there. Upgrades usually takes awhile due to creating a backup and then cleanup after upgrade.

Seems to work every time for me. WebGUI upgrade fails every time. Long as the command line works I don’t mind and to me it’s the preferred method.

1 Like

I’m glad it worked out in the end. :+1:

Actually, we take every percussion we can (in the VM) before actually running the update. We made automated updates public in 2016, and since then even more things has improved. With that said, we can’t guarantee 100% success every time due to factors that are outside of our control - like in the example above.

For example if internet/SSH/server dies after backup was made with the upgrade process started - then it will result in a failed upgrade and a broken installation. Luckily we actually do backups of all the important stuff before such a nasty thing could go wrong - that’s why it took 5 minutes to fix. Also if you work with Nextcloud every day for a few years - you get the hang of it. :slight_smile:

Also €60 might be much for some people, sure, I can understand that. But at least for me time is money, and if you compare maybe 12 hours of your own work to the €60 you paid us to fix it - does that put the value in a different perspective? Basically, you hire us if you want to get the job done, and not just done, but done properly. You pay for our expertise, time, bills and everything else that includes running a company. €60 is below standard in Sweden. Normal rate here for someone like myself is around €200 per hour.

:arrow_double_up: Not meant as a defending statement, more like an explanation. :arrow_double_up:

3 Likes