Group with restricted admin rights

hi there!
i need a group which has not full admin control to be able to create users and groups.
members of said group may not have access to “app settings” and “admin settings” as i fear they will accidentally mess things up.

is this already a feature I did not find?

I don’t think so, but it would be a good one to add.

You are not alone

But I think it is too vague to expect it to be addressed…

TLDR:
use the app Custom CSS to hide certain settings by enabling it for a specified group

the detailed solution:
the addon Custom CSS lets you customize the appearance of your nextcloud and its effects can be restricted to groups.
if we restrict it to a group “team“ (or anything else) every admin is part of and write code to hide the settings, only one admin account which is not part of this group can see them.

of course this is not a secure solution, since any admin can just leave the “team“ group to purposefully mess things up. but this would be a rare case as i know of no employees that would try to break rules.

not the prettiest solution, but hope this helps :slight_smile:

here the badly written CSS: (if anyone actually can write CSS and is kind enough to help improve this code, please do)

/do not display app settings/
div#settings.openedMenu nav#expanddiv.settings-menu.menu > ul:nth-child(1) > li:nth-child(2) > a:nth-child(1) {
width: 0px;
height: 0px;
display: none;
}

/do not display administration settings in settings tab/
div#content.app-settings div#app-navigation.without-app-settings > ul:nth-child(1) > li:nth-child(10) > a:nth-child(1) {
}
div#app-navigation.without-app-settings > ul:nth-child(1) > li:nth-child(11) > a:nth-child(1) {
}
/insert number of child for x and repeat the following three lines for all elements/
div#app-navigation.without-app-settings > ul:nth-child(1) > li:nth-child(x) > a:nth-child(1) {
}

(As the side bar of the settings view is one big block, I was unable to remove the administration settings as a whole, instead I needed to remove each element separately. Depending on the apps you have, you will have different elements.
In order to remove them, use the “inspect element” tool to determine the desired css-selector, then paste it into the custom css code with the instruction to not display it.)

if you want other Custom CSS for all non-admin users make all users part of a „usr“ (or anything else) group and add this group to the list of groups allowed to the effects of Custom CSS. the changes for admins do not affect the users.

i agree, that this is still an underdevelopped idea.
nevertheless, there could be a whole new system of user authorization. however I know too little of this topic to participate in this discussion.

for a small-scale solution in a trustworthy environment the custom css idea should work and be in compliance with nextcloud philosophy.

Hi aaaaron,

thanks for your CSS-guide! By using the app Custom CSS will those changes be deleted/overwritten if Nextcloud is updated?

Regards,
dinha

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. Custom CSS does NOT allow you to restrict css to certain groups. Please unmark this as the solution.