Got seemingly bitten by bug #34019 , but

Hello!
First things first: My name is tim, i’ve been maintaining a Next-/OwnCloud- Instance for quite a few years now. I am 47 years old, live in northern germany and am about to make IT stuff my profession.

I cannot say for sure when this trouble started. The first error lines in /var/log/apache2/nextcloud-error.log may have appeared earlier this year, but it all used to work pretty well.

Right now any interaction on the front end leads to a longish error message in said error.log, please see below. Its content hints at Bug 34019
The administrative frontend is mostly dysfunctional, the user frontend doesn’t show any files (there are many). Other apps work fine, though.
I suspect that i am rather struggling with the deprecation of my 32bit arch. As far as i read the bug report, the patch to #34019 was reverted for 32bit so i did a

grep -ni float /srv/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Quota.php

which showed 0 results. No luck!

I do remember doing a little CLI manipulation a few months ago because quotas didn’t work. AFAIR i executed

sudo -u www-data php occ user:setting [uid] files quota 1GB

which seemed to do the trick. Could this be related?

So my question is: Am i struck by bug 34019 on 32bit system or have i damaged something when doing occ magic? The latest updates ran pretty much without error (except for the announced deprecation of my i386 machine and PHP7.3)

My system:

• virtual server in a remote hosting site
  • arch: i386
  • NC version: 25.0.3
  • PHP7.3
  • Webserver: Apache 2.4.54
  • Database: MariaDB 10.5.18
  • Upgrade channel: stable

Please let me know if you need more info to examine the problem.

Example error line:
[Tue Dec 20 14:29:15.604418 2022] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 2028:tid 3846175552] [client 94.31.86.114:39556] AH01071: Got error ‘PHP message: {“reqId”:“30aagSjS2euZtcOpBcAa”,“level”:3,“time”:“December 20, 2022 13:29:15”,“remoteAddr”:“94.31.86.114”,“user”:“tim”,“app”:“no app in context”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/ocs/v1.php/cloud/user?format=json”,“message”:“Typed property OC\\Files\\Storage\\Wrapper\\Quota::$quota must be int or null, float used in file ‘/srv/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Quota.php’ line 68”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (Linux) mirall/3.1.1-2+deb11u1 (Nextcloud)”,“version”:“25.0.2.3”,“exception”:{“Exception”:“Exception”,“Message”:“Typed property OC\\Files\\Storage\\Wrapper\\Quota::$quota must be int or null, float used in file ‘/srv/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Quota.php’ line 68”,“Code”:0,“Trace”:[{“file”:“/srv/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php”,“line”:172,“function”:“dispatch”,“class”:“OC\\AppFramework\\Http\\Dispatcher”,“type”:“->”},{“file”:“/srv/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php”,“line”:298,“function”:“main”,“class”:“OC\\AppFramework\\App”,“type”:“::”},{“file”:"/srv/ne…’
(Log line not shortened by me)

hi @LeTimBo tim. great to see a personal note from somebody - but it’s uncommon in this forum as it is too huge and majority of the users don’t come back once their issue is fixed. Nevertheless I’m willi I’m regular user, one of the moderators of the forum and I wish you all the best with your new profession, I’m working in telecom/IT since 20 years and still find it demanding and interesting - definitely not a bad choice!

Unfortunately I can’t really help you. I don’t have 32-bit system handy (and nobody should today :wink: ). I can’t believe mentioned occ command is harmful (by itself it is not, unless there is some other bug).

You mentioned multiple issues already: deprecation of 32-bit (but major bugs should be sorted out in 25.0.2 - 25.0.3 is not released now) and PHP 7.3 - which definitely unsupported with NC 25 (and out of PHP support for a year I believe). I wonder about 7.3 - I was under impression Debian 11 comes with PHP 7.4 (which is out of security support now). I would start upgrading PHP to 7.4 at least, but strongly recommend 8.* or you have a chance migrating to a 64-bit server…

good luck!

Hello wwe!
You are absolutely right about php7.4 in Debian stable; it is! This does however not help with my 32bit server with ancient software. The drawbacks of Debian stable are obvious enough; i was hoping for a new release of Debian BEFORE php7 support in Nextcloud ceases.

The system hosting nextcloud is a productive one, i. e. 2 small business websites. That’s why i’m hesitant about major changes to the software. Furthermore my hosting provider doesn’t offer 64bit CPUs in his hosting portfolio. I shall ask him rather soon if he wouldn’t do me a small favor after roughly 10 years of service; it’s a really small business and i want to try at least. All he’d have to do is switch the type of the emulated CPU…
A software update to the next (“testing”) release is within my possibilites, but the fear of wrecking a server that has >1 year constant uptime and multiple years of cure is rather strong. If necessary, i’ll move to a new hosting provider.
Thanks for your input! It seems i am facing difficult decisions.
Cheers,

tim

I fully understand you point. Your hoster definitely needs to move forward - even Raspi is 64-bit today since 2016… and keeping things on an ancient software doesn’t make the migration easier… in opposite every day, every small patch added to the upstream product makes it harder to move until it becomes fully impossible. I bet nobody seriously consider 32-bit CPU on x86 anymore…

I know it’s easy to say but hard to implement. I would suggest you create a battle plan and review things you operate - check how hard it is to move each single part away (think open minded, don’t focus on 1:1 replacement, e.g. consider hosting/managed options, different architectures e.g. virtual machines, Docker, Snap). depending on system design it could be as easy as pointing Nextclouds DNS record to another server and you could move to fresh and shiny 64-bit server running latest software or e.g. docker if want to keep using Debian stable on your box…