Give VUE 2.x a chance

I have a lot of experience building React/Redux apps, also teaching/coaching this. I recently did some research on Vue and got some intros by enthusiastic people. Although I’m lacking experience here I think it could be a good choice for nextcloud. React/Redux, although much more popular, has quite a learning curve if you want to follow best practices with little benefit for smaller apps. I found some good arguments why Vue could be easier while not having significant disadvantages.

1 Like

I did a project in Angular 1 a couple of years ago, but found the learning curve way too steep. Then a while back I tried React but had a hard time figuring out how it worked. After reading this thread I gave Vue.js a try and was really impressed. Very easy to dive into.

@xMartin You mention that React is much more popular, they have almost the same number of stars on Github, but there seems to be more than double the number of people using the developer tools for Firefox and Chrome.

• Github stars
  • Developer addons

Lastly some people say that Vue.js doesn’t work with big projects, but Gitlab is using it and seems to be happy about it. You can read about their decision here. And their follow up a year later here

In a “philosophical” percpective, would be more coherent to use Vue, as it is more a community driven project. In my point of view, Vue is to React as NextCloud is to OwnCloud.
React can be more ready to use now, but Vue is growing more, in users, in resources, in projects, in approval (Vue came closer to PHP after adopted by Laravel, Vue is used by GitLab, React has restrictions in China, etc.)
And many AngularJS users feel more “at home” with Vue than with Angular 2 or 4.

3 Likes

I know this is really old post, but I was not even using Nextcloud back then, so forgive me for resurrecting this old post. The reason why I was compelled to post was the comment @jan made here:

And here im in 2023 experiencing the very thing he mentioned here. In fact this is how i found this post ,searching how to get a grasp of the UX nextcloud/vue. Google sent me here, so blame google :smile:

I’m not a “full stack” developer, or even class myself as a developer I’m more of entrepreneur who knows how to code. I’m familiar with symfony and even Mojavi MVC from back in the day. I have a few really compelling ideas to contribute to Nextcloud but I’m finding it difficult to even create a Mockup. I bemoan the fact that you have embed a framework within a framework with 2 totally different technologies creating twice the work, How do even keep it secure ?