Further develpment of the mail app

Hey there,

I found a good deal of information about what is planned for the mail app in the upcoming future - but nothing to precise :wink: Alas, Iā€™d like to ask here:

What about the ā€œbasic optionsā€ of mail processors such as: mark read / unread, signatures, Out of Office auto responses and the like. Since you are using HORDE libs, the functions should be available and hopefully making use of them, is not too much of an hassle?

Are these included in the rather general outlooks on github? Any higher priority? Or rather nice to have and not likely to come any time soon?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :slight_smile:

John

And I have a related question of where the dev will take place (and where we should report issues).
Do you plan to keep it in different repo?
Or to integrate it in the ā€œserverā€ repo?

Either way, I think you should fork soon, then, we can follow the dev on github!

Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in the mail-app. You can find out more about the current state of development at GitHub - owncloud-archive/mail: Mail app for ownCloud :wink: Milestones and discussions about issues and pull requests are an good place to start :muscle:

Some improvements and new features are planned as projects in the Google Summer of Code. You will find out more about the projects here: Google Summer of Code Ā· owncloud/core Wiki Ā· GitHub

Mhmmā€¦ @jan

Mail is an app as contacts and calendar. Integrating into the core (server) isnā€™t a good idea :sweat_smile:

cc @ChristophWurst @Gomez of the Mail app to properly answer this. :slight_smile:

We do not plan to fork/move/rename the mail app.

Right now the mail app works in ownCloud & Nextcloud.

@Gomez

Did I get it right, that you will not support the mail app in future Nextcloud versions? It works now as a matter of circumstance (aka OC and NC being the same code), and it may continue to work but will not be actively adapted/developed for NC?

Sorry, I have to ask again, because this is vital for me as I use Nextcloud/Owncloud primarily as PIM portal for my one inet-web-stop from where all my contacts, calendars and mails are distributed from. Alas, I have used the roundcube plugin until today and wanted to switch to the mail app altogether. (Sorry for pestering you with my background story ;-))

John

1 Like

@John

We just havenā€™t decided yet.

Come to the dark side of the force :smiling_imp: :joy:

@Gomez

Providing a mail app for Nextcloud is imho an important feature. Especially for bussines-users. Most people organize themself with Files, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks and: eMail. It is much easier, if admins can provide that kind of ā€œpim-solutionā€ in one application and users donā€™t have to work with different web-interfaces. So +1 for also providing this feature in future releases of nextcloud. :slight_smile:

@John @marc you can simply install the Mail app in Nextcloud as well. :slight_smile:

@jan Thanks. I know and already did so successfully prior to posting here. My concern was solely about the future of this app. It is not fully Featured for my needs yet, but I hoped it would be, when I had to learn it may as well be abandoned for good :frowning:

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m fully aware that my ā€˜pimā€™ usage is not the main target of nextcloud. Nonetheless Iā€™m convinced, that there are quite a lot Users like me out there, simply because nextcloud is the only Software that can be used for this purpose, has a working*dav Implantation AND can be installed on shared hosting without root access :slight_smile:

Long Story cut short: pretty please with Cream and Cherry on top?? B-)

1 Like

I agree, but right now, business users are better off installing a proper Groupware/PIM solution and connect Nextcloud to it to provide the storage backend. One key component missing is a JS client lib like other providers offer so that any solutions can easily connect, but there are still ways.

Thatā€™s almost true and a good point nonetheless. You donā€™t need root, but you need shell access to install most solutions.
Out of curiosity, why arenā€™t you using the solution offered by your host?

Hey :slight_smile:

My Host does not offer any pim solution nor any *dav syncs. Also i am not allowed to use apt-get or execute .deb packages. Basically I can only install tarballs :smiley:
This excludes kolab, Horde Open-Xchange and the lot. Group Office does not offer *.dav syncs for the free versions and Tine will not run stable.
Roundcube Plugins for CalDAV and CardDAV exists since they made use of the kolab Libs. But for some reason they need 2 libs that cannot run at the same time. Alas I would need to choose one dav Sync.

You see, I really did some research but keep resorting back to own/nextcloud :wink:

John

Thanks, I understand. The other solution is to use a better host, but moving is never a pleasant task :S.

Youā€™re right of courseā€¦ in every which way :wink:

Just one more thing Iā€™d like to add: my hoster is all-inkl.com - from my understanding a webpace hosting service which seems to be quite popular in recent yearsā€¦ with correspindingly many users and the reason for me insinuating the general importance of this app so very blatantly in my prior post
:blush:

I find the mail app useful when Iā€™m not at my own machine. If you need to write a detailed reply, phones are not ideal.

Iā€™m reluctant to switch from oc to nc if mail and the other apps i use are not going to be supported.

I used to use the round cube plugin, but have been using the oc app for a while now.

Also concerned that other things I use and the Android apps that go with them will no longer be available - such as news, bookmarks and notes.

Third party apps are bit out of your control, I guess ā€¦

1 Like

The news app at least will no doubt be on NC, as News has prominently featured as one of the apps that came across and itā€™s developer is active here. I, too am hoping for the notes and bookmarks appsā€¦

2 Likes