Forget my password

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 16.0.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04):
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3

The issue you are facing:
I forgot my admin user password and cannot reset it (I don’t receive the email). Indeed when I check on a computer where the session is still logged, I can see that the recovery email configuration is wrong. It doesn’t work, the problem is that I cannot change the configuration without gaving the password, that I forgot! I tried all the passwords I could used, without success :frowning:

Do you have an idea how can I recovery it manually?

Thanks in advance.

Use the occ command line tool to reset the password.

The problem is on my hosting service I don’t have acess to the command line :confused:
Is there a way in changing some files with the FTP or in the database?

You will find several request covering this point, if you use the search function of this forum (upper right corner):

https://help.nextcloud.com/search?q=change%20admin%20password

Here you find e.g. the recommendation to better change the recovery email address than playing around with the admin password:

Thanks for the answer! I tried to configure it in the config file with the parameters from my hosting service. But it didn’t work :confused:
I got that errors (sorry for picture, but when I copy the log all is one-lined) :

Unfortunately I cannot read the text. Add a line with ``` before and after your log entries and it should be displayed correctly :wink:

It’s a picture, just click on it to have it full size :slight_smile:

Une erreur est survenue lors de l'envoi de l'e-mail. Veuillez vérifier vos paramètres. (Erreur: Failed to authenticate on SMTP server with username "USER" using 1 possible authenticators. Authenticator LOGIN returned Swift_IoException: Connection to ssl://ssl0.ovh.net:465 Timed Out in /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php:166 Stack trace: #0 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(467): Swift_Transport_StreamBuffer->readLine(10) #1 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(339): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->getFullResponse(10) #2 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(305): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->executeCommand('RSET\r\n', Array, Array, false, NULL) #3 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/Esmtp/Auth/LoginAuthenticator.php(40): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->executeCommand('RSET\r\n', Array) #4 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/Esmtp/AuthHandler.php(177): Swift_Transport_Esmtp_Auth_LoginAuthenticator->authenticate(Object(Swift_SmtpTransport), 'USER...', 'PASSWD...') #5 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(371): Swift_Transport_Esmtp_AuthHandler->afterEhlo(Object(Swift_SmtpTransport)) #6 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(148): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->doHeloCommand() #7 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Mailer.php(65): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->start() #8 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Mail/Mailer.php(180): Swift_Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), Array) #9 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/settings/Controller/MailSettingsController.php(159): OC\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(OC\Mail\Message)) #10 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(166): OC\Settings\Controller\MailSettingsController->sendTestMail() #11 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(99): OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(Object(OC\Settings\Controller\MailSettingsController), 'sendTestMail') #12 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php(126): OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OC\Settings\Controller\MailSettingsController), 'sendTestMail') #13 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\AppFramework\App::main('OC\\Settings\\Con...', 'sendTestMail', Object(OC\AppFramework\DependencyInjection\DIContainer), Array) #14 [internal function]: OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array) #15 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php(297): call_user_func(Object(OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler), Array) #16 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php(975): OC\Route\Router->match('/settings/admin...') #17 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/index.php(42): OC::handleRequest() #18 {main} Next Swift_TransportException: Connection to ssl://ssl0.ovh.net:465 Timed Out in /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:473 Stack trace: #0 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(339): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->getFullResponse(10) #1 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(305): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->executeCommand('RSET\r\n', Array, Array, false, NULL) #2 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/Esmtp/Auth/LoginAuthenticator.php(40): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->executeCommand('RSET\r\n', Array) #3 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/Esmtp/AuthHandler.php(177): Swift_Transport_Esmtp_Auth_LoginAuthenticator->authenticate(Object(Swift_SmtpTransport), 'USER...', 'PASSWD...') #4 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(371): Swift_Transport_Esmtp_AuthHandler->afterEhlo(Object(Swift_SmtpTransport)) #5 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(148): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->doHeloCommand() #6 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Mailer.php(65): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->start() #7 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Mail/Mailer.php(180): Swift_Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), Array) #8 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/settings/Controller/MailSettingsController.php(159): OC\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(OC\Mail\Message)) #9 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(166): OC\Settings\Controller\MailSettingsController->sendTestMail() #10 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(99): OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(Object(OC\Settings\Controller\MailSettingsController), 'sendTestMail') #11 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php(126): OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OC\Settings\Controller\MailSettingsController), 'sendTestMail') #12 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\AppFramework\App::main('OC\\Settings\\Con...', 'sendTestMail', Object(OC\AppFramework\DependencyInjection\DIContainer), Array) #13 [internal function]: OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array) #14 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php(297): call_user_func(Object(OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler), Array) #15 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php(975): OC\Route\Router->match('/settings/admin...') #16 /home/scapyfrnqq/www/nextcloud/index.php(42): OC::handleRequest() #17 {main}.)

The listed error messages are only showing an authentication error when Nextcloud tries to connecting to your email server, so that doesn’t help much.

If you’re able to execute a sql command this commands might help (use it on your own risk):

# show available users
SELECT * FROM oc_users;

# change password in db
UPDATE oc_users SET password = '<new-admin-pw>' WHERE uid = '<admin-user>';

I can acess directly to the database with PhpMyAdmin. But I read it’s not possible to change the password that way, because it’s salted :confused:

I will ask to my hoster if there are specific ways to use the email adress.
Also I can try with another address like my Gmail adress, but with all the security of Google, I’m not sure if it’s possible.

I tried with another email, this time in the admin panel, when I send the test email, it’s sucessful (according the message).
But when I want to reset the password, I never get any email (even in my spam box).

What can I check?

Sorry, I got the eamil, after 20 min !

BTW, thanks for your help!!

1 Like