First RC of Nextcloud 25

The first RC of Nextcloud 25 is now available on our download server! :rocket:

As always, help with testing is very much welcome!
If you notice anything out of order, please report back on the appropriate github repository! :bowing_woman:

Downloads

Known issues

• the updater does not remove the .step file in /path/to/data/updater-$INSTANCEID/ after a successful upgrade. Next time you like to upgrade you notice that all to-dos are ticked, alas nothing really happens. Manually deleting this .step file solves the issue for now, and we are looking into solving this for 25, of course.

Changelog

5 Likes

Interesting, attempting the update and see

Tried from occ and the process doesn’t actually do anything other than claim victory and move to asking about maintenance mode:

Current version is 25.0.0 beta 7.

Update to Nextcloud 25.0.0 RC 1 available. (channel: "beta")
Following file will be downloaded automatically: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/prereleases/nextcloud-25.0.0rc1.zip

Steps that will be executed:
[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[✔] Verify integrity
[✔] Extracting
[✔] Enable maintenance mode
[✔] Replace entry points
[✔] Delete old files
[✔] Move new files in place
[✔] Done

Continue update? [y/N] y

Info: Pressing Ctrl-C will finish the currently running step and then stops the updater.

[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[✔] Verify integrity
[✔] Extracting
[✔] Enable maintenance mode
[✔] Replace entry points
[✔] Delete old files
[✔] Move new files in place
[✔] Done

Update of code successful.

Should the "occ upgrade" command be executed? [Y/n] Y
Nextcloud is already latest version

Keep maintenance mode active? [y/N]
1 Like

Should:

'updater.secret' => '$SECRETKJHASDJKASDLJASDLJASDLJASDLJASD',
);

be the unhashed secret from config.php ?

remove the .step file in the data/update folder as outlined in the Known Issue above.

1 Like

Removing the .step file does not help. I too get this

To login you need to provide the unhashed value of “updater.secret” in your config file…

message.

I do not have the data/update folder, so no .step file but still the Authentication message.

You have an updater.secret value in the config file. If you navigate
away from the update page before it is finished it wont recognize you.

So fetch the config file and use the updater.secret value to login.
After that you will be able to run the web based updater again

2022-09-23 11:02 skrev Eggert Ehmke via Nextcloud community:

I created the unhashed value of “updater.secret” as the short script suggested. Next I put the new updater.secret in to the config.php. That worked.

2 Likes

/path/to/data/updater-$INSTANCEID/

1 Like

In my config was already a “updater.secret” password, but could not remember the plaintext value. Then I also created a new hash password using the recommended php command and entered it there. Then entered the plaintext value in the updater and now it worked.

1 Like

What I ended up doing to get the upgrade to proceed was renaming the data/updater-XXXXXXXX directory to something else, then trying the upgrade again. Once I saw that the upgrade was proceeding, I deleted the renamed directory.

Now if I could just figure out how to fix the warnings for the .well-known rewrites. I have the rewrites configured, but it has been complaining about them anyway.

I tired to update from RC1 to RC 2 and same issue. Can we have someone look at this please.

It says of the release notes on rc2 that the fix is in there but won’t take effect until after the upgrade.

So if you have a broken rc1 you will still manually have to fix it. But after that it should work as normal when you update from rc2 to a newer version.

1 Like