File lock issue?

I have uploaded a file using the Nextcloud Android app to my Instant Upload folder. But when i want to delete the file using the Nextcloud web-interface i get an unable to delete message

This is the corresponding log entry in the log

{"reqId":"0DijSqEkfOg2iyh9VD8J","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.xx","app":"webdav","message":"Exception: {\"Message\":\"HTTP\\\/1.1 423 \\\"InstantUpload\\\/20160614_163418.jpg\\\" is locked\",\"Exception\":\"OCA\\\\DAV\\\\Connector\\\\Sabre\\\\Exception\\\\FileLocked\",\"Code\":0,\"Trace\":\"#0 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/3rdparty\\\/sabre\\\/dav\\\/lib\\\/DAV\\\/Tree.php(179): OCA\\\\DAV\\\\Connector\\\\Sabre\\\\File->delete()\\n#1 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/3rdparty\\\/sabre\\\/dav\\\/lib\\\/DAV\\\/CorePlugin.php(285): Sabre\\\\DAV\\\\Tree->delete('InstantUpload\\\/2...')\\n#2 [internal function]: Sabre\\\\DAV\\\\CorePlugin->httpDelete(Object(Sabre\\\\HTTP\\\\Request), Object(Sabre\\\\HTTP\\\\Response))\\n#3 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/3rdparty\\\/sabre\\\/event\\\/lib\\\/EventEmitterTrait.php(105): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\\n#4 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/3rdparty\\\/sabre\\\/dav\\\/lib\\\/DAV\\\/Server.php(459): Sabre\\\\Event\\\\EventEmitter->emit('method:DELETE', Array)\\n#5 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/3rdparty\\\/sabre\\\/dav\\\/lib\\\/DAV\\\/Server.php(248): Sabre\\\\DAV\\\\Server->invokeMethod(Object(Sabre\\\\HTTP\\\\Request), Object(Sabre\\\\HTTP\\\\Response))\\n#6 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/apps\\\/dav\\\/appinfo\\\/v1\\\/webdav.php(55): Sabre\\\\DAV\\\\Server->exec()\\n#7 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/remote.php(138): require_once('\\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcl...')\\n#8 {main}\",\"File\":\"\\\/var\\\/www\\\/nextcloud\\\/apps\\\/dav\\\/lib\\\/connector\\\/sabre\\\/file.php\",\"Line\":342,\"User\":\"raymon\"}","level":4,"time":"2016-06-15T05:46:11+00:00","method":"DELETE","url":"\/remote.php\/webdav\/InstantUpload\/20160614_163418.jpg","user":"raymon"}

I created a new picture and nextcloud uploaded it to InstandUpload and now i`m able to delete the file without issues. So it is not always an issue

This question was popping up a few times recently, so I put everything into a FAQ article: