Extra files found when trying to update to 12.0.3

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slight_frown:

If you’re urgently looking for support to keep your business running, consider checking out our paid support options.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Remember, the below information may be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Please delete everything above when creating your topic, just provide the following:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 12.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Armbian 5.36
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Nginx
PHP version (eg, 7.1):

The issue you are facing: The updater shows information about extra files when trying to update. The full message:

The following extra files have been found:
.htaccess_
nextcloud.log
nextcloud.db
updater.log
admin
myky
beame-insta-ssl
appdata_oc5koey6svac
.ocdata
index.html_
files_external
updater-oc5koey6svac

Some of them are normal files and folders that were created after installation - for example admin and myky are my user folders. Why Nextcloud considers them excessive?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

How did you update? Normally, there shouldn’t be issues if done correctly. Can you check in the admin menu the path of the additional files. Perhaps they were copied to the wrong place?

I was updating through the panel. Those “additional files” are physically in the Nextcloud root folder, but I believe they belong there, but I just do not why they are considered “extra”.

Nextcloud compares the files with the files that are known to be in this place. It should correctly know the default location of the logfiles.

The your files *_, are they some cache versions or backup files? Some folders could be at the wrong place, but from your output it is hard to tell in which folder the conflicts appear.

I believe those files are just normal Nextcloud working files - nextcloud.log is a log for the running instance, admin and myky are user folders containing the files that users uploaded, etc.

I still did not manage to update.

Looks like you are using the Nextcloud root folder as data directory.

nextcloud.log is usually placed in the data directory just like the user folders.
Please post your nextcloud/config/config.php (remove passwords, salts and domain names before posting!)

.htaccess_

and

index.html_

seem to be copies of the original files.
Furthermore

files_external

is a folder which actually belongs into the folder nextcloud/apps.

• don’t store any backups/ copies in the Nextcloud root folder.
  • don’t use the nextcloud root folder as data folder (if that’s the case right now)

Schmu, thank you for looking into issue. I believe the case might be as you say. Here is the config.php file:

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'oc5koey6svac',
  'passwordsalt' => 'bla',
  'secret' => 'blabla',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'bla',
    1 => 'bla',
    2 => 'bla',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST3000DM001-1ER166_Z503CXZP-part1/www/nextc/',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'bla',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '12.0.3.3',
  'dbname' => 'nextc',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' => 'bla',
  'dbpassword' => 'blabla',
  'installed' => true,
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' => 
  array (
    'host' => 'localhost',
    'port' => 6379,
  ),
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'php',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'updater.secret' => 'blabla',
);

/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST3000DM001-1ER166_Z503CXZP-part1/www/nextc/ is where I also have Nextcloud installed. How can I safely move data to a different directory?

Hi,

Moving the data directory is not extremely easy, but there is a detailed guide for that:

You need to follow solution 1! Solution 2 is not the way to go, because it won’t change anything for you and you would still run into your current issue.

While solution one can be risky, please follow this guide very carefully :slight_smile:

Thank you. I am following the tutorial, but got stuck at editing MySQL database. It says to run the following query:

update oc_storages set id='local::/new/path/to/data/' where id='local::/path/to/data/';

In my database those fields are saying “home::username”, for example “home::myky” and there are records with some strings (secrets?). Should I change home entries to “local::/new/path/to/data/username”?

No, don’t change "home::*** "

Are there no entries with
'local::/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST3000DM001-1ER166_Z503CXZP-part1/www/nextc/'

Could you try to run:
select id from oc_storages where id like '%/www/nextc%';
and send the output here?

It returned no records. oc_storages table has in total 4 records, 2 like “home::username” (I just have 2 users) and 2 with some random (?) strings.

:thinking: Sever heard of something like this. Could you paste the strings here?

See the current discussion below the HowTo and according to this try to just skip the database adjustment. The needed entry seems to be added automatically with latest Nextcloud, even that so far we do not have some official statement about this.

If it’s not working (files are not shown within web ui), and there is really no row like local::/path/ please just add a new one instead of updating any existing one with different content scheme.

Hi @MichaIng,

I was suggesting to update the current strings, because he is trying to update from an older version to 12.0.3

From the discussion in the howto thread it seems that the DB entries are only added automatically since NC13.

Yeah usually I think its also the cleaner/better method (if you are familiar with MySQL console or sure that the command is correct), as there are no obsolete entries left :+1:.

In @copytco case indeed it is confusing, that there seem to be no local:: entry at all (?), that can be adjusted.

I am not sure, when the automated entry was added to Nextcloud, as also the devs within HowTo discussion mention it as still necessary :smile:. So at least it could be tested as well with NC12. It should be just carefully checked then, if e.g. comments/flags etc. and of course the files itself, still show up on web ui correctly.
If it doesn’t work, add the entry as additional one manually instead adjusting any unknown row, that might have different reason, of course :wink:.

1 Like

Hi Schmu and Michalng,

I actually moved all of my stuff to nextcloud/data folder and adjusted config file. In the database I changed home:: entries to see what will happen. When I resumed Nexcloud instance it created new records in oc_storages table with home::username and unfortunately had to recalculate weight of all the files. I do not know if some comments etc. were lost because I did not have any. Later on Nextcloud updated without any problems. Below is screen from oc_storages table: