Evernote Replacement

I’ll pass, but thanks for the tip. For me, markdown is NOT an option.

1 Like

so get involved here
https://discourse.joplinapp.org/t/gsoc-idea-wysiwyg-editor/6372

Le mer. 4 mars 2020 à 15:37, Aproposnix via Nextcloud community noreply@nextcloud.com a écrit :

@PackElend

No, not for me. It’s a different use case than for Evernote. EN is not just taking some text notes. It’s also about webclipping.

1 Like

you know that Joplin has a webclipper

Le sam. 7 mars 2020 à 18:02, Aproposnix via Nextcloud community noreply@nextcloud.com a écrit :

Yeah. I knew they had one but didn’t realize how much better it has become (well done for that)… however, the root problem is still an issue for me. It’s markdown. There are many people (like me) who don’t like markdown.

This whole thread was started in order to discuss a potential non markdown replacement for Evernote. Unfortunately, the only people posting here are people wanting to either use a md editor or promote their favorite md editor (Joplin getting top rank if that’s what you want)…

Well, it seems since I started this topic, Evernote has since committed to delivering a Linux version of their client (I’m betting it be an Electron app though) so I’ve personally given up championing the idea in the FOSS community. This thread has outlived it’s utility IMHO. There should be a markdown editor megathread where these topics can be discussed.

2 Likes

there is hope: Experimental WYSIWYG editor in Joplin - News - Joplin Forum

As I already noted, markdown is not an option. I am not the use case for Joplin or any other MD editor.

Personally, I think the fact that the FOSS community cannot get behind an Evernote Replacement only shows the gap between FOSS developers and users.

2 Likes

Well, there is no official Evernote Linux client:

Sadly @brantje is not active anymore developing Nextnote which was a promising project (but maybe somebody can restart development at some point).

nixnote2 has been a fully functional evernote client on the Linux desktop for years. It works very well.

As @aproposnix mentioned, we simply do not have a replacement for Evernote within Nextcloud. I personally have had to go back to the premium membership, because I just cannot replicate my regular workflow:

Open Evernote and create a new note for a meeting: Begin audio recording within the app, in the background. Possibly take pictures with my camera phone, which are automatically added to the note. Photograph any handwritten notes, which are converted to black and white + given OCR for easy text searching. All of this is done with basically zero technical skill required. It feels akin to throwing items into a bucket. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lurker here of many years here. Had to finally signup because I wanted to say how grateful I am that this thread exists.

@aproposnix analysis is absolutely spot on. There is simply no privacy friendly Evernote 1-1 alternative out there. 99% of links on the web when you google this, all jabber on about how wonderful Markdown is. Well, I’m glad many people like it. However I’m not a fan and never will be. I’ve it tried it many times over the years and it’s just clunky and annoying for me compared with Evernote.

There are many many good MD notes programs. Would happily invest or fund a startup wanting to make a free opensource type of Evernote clone. (Make it free for users and micro biz (<5 employees), and charge SME and corporations license to keep enough revenue going to pay devs and grow).

I just know it would do well. People like me want an alternative. I think it’s common in OSS world to want to use existing tools like MD based ones. And that’s actually a good thing. However, in this case the HTML based note category should exist too. I’m certain of this.

Anyway, glad this thread exists, and hope existing solutions either continue to get closer or someone comes up with a new competitor that focuses on the user and their right to privacy and does it whilst matching or bettering the UX and feature set of Evernote.

2 Likes

These 2 sentences perfectly describe my total frustration with 95% of the “notes apps” currently on the market. They’re all md. Md is NOT rich text!

It’s kind of hilarious. Evernote is still, to date, after all these years, the only “notes app” that:

1. has an actual rich text editor, that edits actual html and lets you change the size of text—variably
  2. has a “note sidebar,” that shows a thumbnail of all notes that are in the folder that you’re currently working in,
  3. is well designed, and has an objectively “good looking UI” (especially now) and…
  4. has some kind of “collaboration” / “share link to note” feature.

There are literally no other apps on the market that have 1-3.

Aside from Nimbus Notes (which has way more features than evernote but, is 10x slower than evernote because… it’s the messiest, most excessive code I’ve ever seen in any web app I’ve ever used).

I’m at the point where I’m tempted to pay someone or a group of developers to just “make me a clone of evernote with these other things too.”

1 Like

This thread is officially the internet’s first,

“Anti-Markdown Notes App Thread.”

And I love it.

Anyone here know any developers worth their salt?

For years, I’ve wanted to build a fully functional Evernote clone which includes “the big feature requests” that evernote has refused to implement for like 7 years. Stuff like:

• Wiki-links (that let you link a line of text/content in one note, to another line of text/content in another note)
  • Rich content embeds, (aside from youtube).
  • A Html Source editor (that lets you input custom html/css)
  • Expanding/collapsing/“folding” content.

That’s it.

1 Like

There has been one major improvement I’ve found:

• Add notes to folders, which are rendered as rich text

You can add readme note files as header and footers within directories.

This at least makes it trivial to add contextual notes within your directory that can include embeds, checkboxes, and (yeah…) markdown.

I’m not sure how this works towards an Evernote replacement. Can you clarify?

As I’ve said, it’s obvious the majority of the NC community are perfectly happy with md. If we want a non-md note taking app, we’ll have to look outside NC.

Slightly off-topic… Am I the only person with SLD’s (dyslexia and dyscalculia) in the world that has issues with Markdown? Certainly there have to be more people with the same issue.

1 Like

What I see happening is:

• No actual rich text evernote replacement
  • Specific features you mentioned are slowly being developed more individually for addition into Nextcloud

Moving forward, it seems these individual changes & improvements will be what materialize before any overall app. It still seems worth discussing or mentioning these small steps, but it can be discussed in a separate topic. :+1:

I’ve come back just to admit that I have finally found a markdown editor that is actually good. It’s called “typora”. Sadly it’s proprietary.

If i were to imagine a Evernote replacement for Nextcloud that had a solid requirement for standard md, I would happily go with something like typora. It would be an amzing tool integrated with NC.

If they could make the Notes app similar to this, I would be in heaven.

1 Like

aaahh!!! aproposnix, now after 3 years the md guys got you!
Lets use md and close this thread! :wink:

But serious:
Thanks a lot to you aproposnix, for pushing this topic further and further!
Great that you are such a persistent but friendly guy!

I used Evernote but switched to OneNote soon afterwards because it was able to run on private SharePoint servers.
Than Microsoft killed the Android support for SharePoint on premises without any commend :-(( and now the SharePointServer2016 licence lost Support.

I total agree with aproposnix´s demand!
---- and
No, I would also not like any md editor as a OneNote replacement .

I know quite many people who are using Evernote or OneNote and would like to switch to a private cloud.
I think the NextCloud team really underestimates the amount of potential customers for an Evernote or OneNote replacement!
And I don´t know one single person (beside developers) who will be wiling to write a note in markdown. NOT ONE!
In the business world, a WYSIWYG rich text editor is the bare minimum what an office-guy will consider to use.

Beside a good Web-clipper I would absolutely need:

• One note file including all the pictures, drawings etc.
  • nestled bullet lists and nestled numbered lists
  • colour text and
  • colour highlighters
  • Tags
  • a structure with folders and sub-folders
  • an android app

Nice to have:

• simple hand drawings and
  • infinite canvas
  • adoptable templates

Unfortunately I´m not a developer but I would like to help in development with translation or project management if useful.

I follow this thread since 2018 and installed all the above mentioned apps with exeption of NextNote.
In my view, the most promising efforts seemed to be the NextNote development (sad that it stopped) and after that TagSpaces.
I still use TagSpaces a little bit and think it has some advantages by working with various file types and that the community edition is future-proof as there is no propriety software involved and tags can be read by a file explorer.
Unfortunately, TagSpaces cancelled their NextCloud integration development and switched to an extra server edition.
So the tagging has to run separate and surly there are many important features still missing.

At the moment, I think about using a open document editor together with TageSpaces as a work-around. It ticks many of my boxes, brings some more features (like as file tagging) but surly it does not come near Evernote ore OneNote in therms of note taking.

I wonder if using mhtml files could help to find a solution?
I found a nice (unfortunately propriety) note app on android which uses a WYSIWYG editor to write the notes in mhtml files.
Unfortunately I didn´t find a small and simple WYSIWYG html editor for the PC. Also the viewer and tagger is missing.

A naive question to all the developers:

• ?? wouldn’t it make some sense to use mhtml as a note file type?
  • ?? maybe using an open document editor and converting from .odt to .mht?
  • ?? maybe there are open source mhtml-editors and html-viewers available which could be combined to a mhtml editor/viewer/tagger?

Thank you,
Tom

6 Likes

Has anyone checked out Utilities / Basket · GitLab ?

no, its new to me.
Has it an Android app? I didn’t find one.

I saw this thread when i’ve been searching for an EverNote->NextCloud tool.

So i point here that i’ve just published an app that i (quickly) wrote, because i’m moving my notes from EverNote to my own NextCloud.

The tool i wrote convert notes into MarkDown files. I know there a a lot of MarkDown detractors, but it’s fine for me for my own use.

So, for the ones who tolerate MarkDown, you may have a look on https://github.com/smarinier/importer

Notes from EverNote are in HTML. So if there is another format in NextCloud you want to convert Notes. It can be considered i guess.

4 Likes