Errors in log "Fatal webdav"

I’m logged into my Nextcloud as Admin and in the Logging I see lots of entries:

Fatal webdav Sabre\VObject\Recur\MaxInstancesExceededException: Recurring events are only allowed to generate 3500

and then the (very long) details. Are they saying there’s a problem creating or updating something in my calendar?

Thanks for any help.

0. /usr/share/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/CalDAV/Reminder/ReminderService.php - line 253: Sabre\VObject\Recur\EventIterator->valid()
1. /usr/share/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/CalDAV/Reminder/ReminderService.php - line 311: OCA\DAV\CalDAV\Reminder\ReminderService->onCalendarObjectCreate({ id: "1137" ... 0})
2. /usr/share/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/CalDAV/Reminder/ReminderService.php - line 172: OCA\DAV\CalDAV\Reminder\ReminderService->onCalendarObjectEdit({ id: "1137" ... 0})
3. /usr/share/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/AppInfo/Application.php - line 242: OCA\DAV\CalDAV\Reminder\ReminderService->onTouchCalendarObject("*** sensiti ... *", { id: "1137" ... 0})
4. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php - line 260: OCA\DAV\AppInfo\Application->OCA\DAV\AppInfo\{closure}("*** sensiti ... *")
5. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php - line 235: Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->doDispatch([ Closure {}], "*** sensiti ... *", "*** sensiti ... *")
6. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php - line 73: Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->callListeners([ Closure {}], "*** sensiti ... *", "*** sensiti ... *")
7. /usr/share/nextcloud/lib/private/EventDispatcher/SymfonyAdapter.php - line 70: Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->dispatch("*** sensiti ... *", "*** sensiti ... *")
8. /usr/share/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/CalDAV/CalDavBackend.php- line 1165: OC\EventDispatcher\SymfonyAdapter->dispatch("*** sensiti ... *", "*** sensiti ... *")
9. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/CalDAV/CalendarObject.php - line 106: OCA\DAV\CalDAV\CalDavBackend->updateCalendarObject("*** sensiti ... *")
10. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 1130: Sabre\CalDAV\CalendarObject->put("*** sensiti ... *")
11. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php - line 513: Sabre\DAV\Server->updateFile("*** sensiti ... *")
12. <<closure>>Sabre\DAV\CorePlugin->httpPut(Sabre\HTTP\R ... "}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
13. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/EventEmitterTrait.php - line 105: call_user_func_array([ Sabre\DAV\ ... "], [ Sabre\HTTP ... }])
14. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 479: Sabre\Event\EventEmitter->emit("method:PUT", [ Sabre\HTTP ... }])
15. /usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 254: Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Sabre\HTTP\R ... "}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
16. /usr/share/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php - line 319: Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
17. /usr/share/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php - line 35: OCA\DAV\Server->exec()
18. /usr/share/nextcloud/remote.php - line 165: require_once("/usr/share/ ... p")

That sounds to me as if you’ve created a recurring event with to many recurrences. I would try to identify that event, reduce the number of recurrences by splitting it into several parts.

A similar issue has been reported around 4 years ago:

1 Like

Thanks @j-ed, very useful. I guess I need to work out which of my calendars has the recurring item and how to identify it…

@j-ed How do we go about finding the calendar in question? I’m onboarding several people that are migrating calendars from Google so I am not sure where the culprit could be.

You should import one calendar after the other to identify the one causing trouble.

I will be having about 100 users on the system and already have a dozen or more. They are using the Google migration to bring calendars over so it is going to be hard to have everyone delete their calendars and all take turns adding one at a time. I was hoping there would be a way to trace this in the database. But I don’t see a lot of detail in the error log inside Nextcloud. Would there be another log that would have more info?

You can increase the verbosity of the log by setting ‘loglevel’ => ‘0’, (debug).
I’m not aware about any other log file which can be used to analyse the issue.

1 Like