Error updating from 20.0.4 to 20.0.5 - Update in process

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 20.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): TrueNAS Core 12.0-U1
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache24
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3

The issue you are facing:
Tried to update via web updater. Update process failed at " Replace entry points". Only showing blank web page with the words “Update in process”. Tried occ upgrade, which tells me I´m on the latest version now. Tried occ Repair, and alse occ maintenance:mode off which tells me it+s already off.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): YES

Steps to replicate it:

1. Start update in NC web.
  2. Wait for it to reach, and fail, the step “Replace entry points”

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:
No output to /var/log/nextcloud/nextcloud.log

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'apps_paths' =>
  array (
    0 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/usr/local/www/nextcloud/apps',
      'url' => '/apps',
      'writable' => true,
    ),
    1 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/usr/local/www/nextcloud/apps-pkg',
      'url' => '/apps-pkg',
      'writable' => false,
    ),
  ),
  'logfile' => '/var/log/nextcloud/nextcloud.log',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'instanceid' => '<OMITTED>',
  'passwordsalt' => '<OMITTED>',
  'secret' => '<OMITTED>',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => '<OMITTED>',
    1 => '<OMITTED>',
  ),
  'trusted_proxies' =>
  array (
    0 => '<OMITTED>',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/mnt/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '20.0.4.0',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => '<OMITTED>',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost:/tmp/mysql.sock',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'nextcloud_admin',
  'dbpassword' => '<OMITTED>',
  'installed' => true,
  'redis' =>
  array (
    'host' => '/tmp/redis.sock',
    'port' => 0,
  ),
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'tls',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => '<OMITTED>',
  'mail_domain' => '<OMITTED>',
  'mail_smtphost' => '<OMITTED>',
  'mail_smtpport' => '<OMITTED>',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'updater.release.channel' => 'stable',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtpname' => '<OMITTED>',
  'mail_smtppassword' => '<OMITTED>',
  'app_install_overwrite' =>
  array (
    0 => 'gallery',
    1 => 'maps',
  ),
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

No output to /var/log/messages

For the purpose of having the server online, I rolled back my Nextcloud related snapshots. Staying at 20.0.4 for the time being. Did this happen to anyone else? Any solution?

You should enable php error logging if you want to figure out what is actually going wrong.

I encountered the same problem while upgrading from 20.0.4 to 20.0.5 just now, although on PostMarketOS (alpine linux), not TrueNAS. I run php7.4, nginx 1.18

There are no logs of interest in /var/log/php7, /var/log/nginx, /varl/log/nextcloud, dmesg, or syslog.

Apologies if I should be creating this as a separate issue - let me know, and I will do so.

****** UPDATE *******
My issue was caused because the files and the “config” symlink which are found in /usr/share/webapps/nextcloud were owned by root:root instead of the web user. After correcting that, the upgrade completed successfully.

I solved it. I had a thought that everything in usr/local/www/nextcloud, where I have my nextcloud installation, should be owned by www:www, which is the user that runs the application, and its primary group. This was not the case. A lot of files were owned by root:wheel. Perhaps since upgrading the jail in which Nextcloud runs.

So, after running chown -R www:www usr/local/www/nextcloud, the update went through.

1 Like

Same issue here, coming from 20.0.3. Webupdate completed, maintenance mode is “off”. WebDAV connection is runnig, nextcloud.log says I’m on 20.0.5.2. Checked the owner subject from dnilgreb but couldn’t find anything similar. Tried occ repair, server restart, etc…
Always I get “500 Internal Server Error” in the browser!
Somebody has some idea what else to check?

@Cloudster try to reintsall all package of php :
sudo apt install php libapache2-mod-php php-common libapache2-mod-php php-mbstring php-xmlrpc php-soap php-apcu php-ldap php-redis php-gd php-xml php-intl php-json php-imagick php-mysql php-cli php-ldap php-zip php-curl php-fpm php-bz2 php-intl php-bcmath php-gmp

can you send us your nextcloud.log

Thanks for your support. I updated the php stuff. Some modules were added, but situation is unchanged. I try to upload the nextcloud.log, but not sure how to do. Let’s see. Most entries are of this kind:
{“reqId”:“OXu2AMk2jH9tsKs3uh4O”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T14:09:31+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:“192.168.183.17”,“user”:“JeRom”,“app”:“onlyoffice”,“method”:“PROPFIND”,“url”:"/remote.php/dav/files/JeRom/",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.1.1stable-Win64 (build 20201222) (Nextcloud)”,“version”:“20.0.5.2”}

@Cloudster this error is not really important ( “level”:0 => debug ) this is not the cause of your issue.
Have you restart apache after installing php stuff ?
if no : sudo systemctl restart apache2

Yes, I did restart apache2 and also re-scanned the files. Everything seems OK. Even access from mobile phone via app seems to work. Just looks like the pages for the browser cannot be generated.

@Cloudster maybe delete all cookies of your web from your browser and reload the web page

Thanks for your continuous support. To be sure I just uninstalled all php7.4 modules and re-installed according to your list. Restarted apache2, but no change.
I cleared the browser cache already several times and tried to reach from different browsers on different ways. I always reach the server (sometimes with certificate warning) but get the old “500 Internal Server Error” page with related host name as sender. Unfortunately I have to stop the research for the next hours, but any suggestion is highly appreciated.

@Cloudster can you copy-paste your nextcloud.log

@Cloudster I had a similar problem, I solved my problem.

check here:

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/problem-following-maj-nextcloud-20-0-5/104598/2

Here is some part of the log:
{“reqId”:“ZPTSA0UgFzrB6uzV5Suz”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:00:45+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:“192.168.183.17”,“user”:"–",“app”:“no app in context”,“method”:“PROPFIND”,“url”:"/remote.php/dav/calendars/JeRom/job/",“message”:{“Exception”:“OC\Authentication\Exceptions\InvalidTokenException”,“Message”:“Token does not exist”,“Code”:0,“Trace”:[{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/Authentication/Token/Manager.php",“line”:147,“function”:“getToken”,“class”:“OC\Authentication\Token\DefaultTokenProvider”,“type”:"->",“args”:["*** sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/User/Session.php",“line”:532,“function”:“getToken”,“class”:“OC\Authentication\Token\Manager”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/User/Session.php",“line”:448,“function”:“isTokenPassword”,“class”:“OC\User\Session”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php",“line”:131,“function”:“logClientIn”,“class”:“OC\User\Session”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Backend/AbstractBasic.php",“line”:106,“function”:“validateUserPass”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php",“line”:254,“function”:“check”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Auth\Backend\AbstractBasic”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php",“line”:156,“function”:“auth”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php",“line”:192,“function”:“check”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php",“line”:144,“function”:“check”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php",“line”:89,“function”:“beforeMethod”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php",“line”:458,“function”:“emit”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php",“line”:251,“function”:“invokeMethod”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php",“line”:319,“function”:“start”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php",“line”:332,“function”:“exec”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php",“line”:35,“function”:“exec”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/remote.php",“line”:167,“args”:["/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php"],“function”:“require_once”}],“File”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/Authentication/Token/DefaultTokenProvider.php",“Line”:160,“Previous”:{“Exception”:“OCP\AppFramework\Db\DoesNotExistException”,“Message”:“token does not exist”,“Code”:0,“Trace”:[{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/Authentication/Token/DefaultTokenProvider.php",“line”:158,“function”:“getToken”,“class”:“OC\Authentication\Token\DefaultTokenMapper”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/Authentication/Token/Manager.php",“line”:147,“function”:“getToken”,“class”:“OC\Authentication\Token\DefaultTokenProvider”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/User/Session.php",“line”:532,“function”:“getToken”,“class”:“OC\Authentication\Token\Manager”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/User/Session.php",“line”:448,“function”:“isTokenPassword”,“class”:“OC\User\Session”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php",“line”:131,“function”:“logClientIn”,“class”:“OC\User\Session”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced "]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Backend/AbstractBasic.php",“line”:106,“function”:“validateUserPass”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth”,“type”:"->",“args”:[" sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php",“line”:254,“function”:“check”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Auth\Backend\AbstractBasic”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php",“line”:156,“function”:“auth”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php",“line”:192,“function”:“check”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php",“line”:144,“function”:“check”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php",“line”:89,“function”:“beforeMethod”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php",“line”:458,“function”:“emit”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php",“line”:251,“function”:“invokeMethod”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php",“line”:319,“function”:“start”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php",“line”:332,“function”:“exec”,“class”:“Sabre\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php",“line”:35,“function”:“exec”,“class”:“OCA\DAV\Server”,“type”:"->"},{“file”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/remote.php",“line”:167,“args”:["/var/www/JeRoCloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php"],“function”:“require_once”}],“File”:"/var/www/JeRoCloud/lib/private/Authentication/Token/DefaultTokenMapper.php",“Line”:91},“CustomMessage”:“Token is not valid: Token does not exist”},“userAgent”:“DAVx5/3.3.7-gplay (2020/11/28; dav4jvm; okhttp/4.9.0) Android/10”,“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“apporder”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“audioplayer_sonos”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“contacts”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“groupfolders”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“drawio”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“files_mindmap”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“files_sharing”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“maps”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“onlyoffice”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“metadata”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“quicknotes”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:"/appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.",“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Run OC\Authentication\Token\DefaultTokenCleanupJob job with ID 19”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Invalidating session tokens older than 2021-01-16T20:05:01+00:00”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Invalidating remembered session tokens older than 2021-01-02T20:05:01+00:00”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Invalidating session tokens older than 2021-01-16T20:05:01+00:00”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Invalidating remembered session tokens older than 2021-01-02T20:05:01+00:00”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Finished OC\Authentication\Token\DefaultTokenCleanupJob job with ID 19 in 0 seconds”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Run OC\Log\Rotate job with ID 20”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}
{“reqId”:“kuWNSUxOEv8wykSiwnSq”,“level”:0,“time”:“2021-01-17T20:05:01+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cron”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Finished OC\Log\Rotate job with ID 20 in 0 seconds”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.5.2”}

Thanks for your advice. I’m using Mysql and the database is up and running.

Just to finish this subject: Finally I repeated the update manually on the CLI according to this procedure: Nextcloud manual upgrade

Now everything is working again! :star_struck: