Editing Google calendar through nextcloud

Hi,

I am trying to free myself up from Google. I have all my calendars migrated to my nextcloud instance but I still need to edit calendars of other people that are still on Google. I managed to link those calendars in my nextcloud but they appear as read-only. How can I configure them to be editable?

Thanks,

P.S. I saw variants of this question posted before but I have not seen a response so I am trying my luck.

Have you tried making the google calendars public and inviting the nextcloud user to the calendar? I remember this was part of the case when I looked into it a few months back, however I did not want to make my calendars public so I left it alone as read only.

I have not tried it because making the calendar public is not an acceptable option.

any update with this…?

I think, as long as the Google CalDAV API is not supported by NC Calendar there is no way.

so calDAV isnt calDAV anymore? just b/c g**gle is as big they think they can set their own standards?

ummm… i mean a basic functionality should work between google calendar and nc calendar. but i’m not sure if enditing g-calendar would be possible with nc.

why not just trying it? i’m citing a part of the link provided above:

" Connecting to Google’s CalDAV server

To use the CalDAV interface, a client program initially connects with the calendar server at one of two starting points. In either case, the connection must be made over HTTPS and must use the OAuth 2.0 authentication scheme. The CalDAV server will refuse to authenticate a request unless it arrives over HTTPS with OAuth 2.0 authentication of a Google account. Attempting to connect over HTTP or using Basic Authentication results in an HTTP 401 Unauthorized status code.

If the client program (such as Apple iCal™) requires a principal collection as the starting point, the URI to connect to is:

https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/caldav/v2/calid/user

Where calid should be replaced by the “calendar ID” of the calendar to be accessed. This can be found through the Google Calendar web interface as follows: in the pull-down menu next to the calendar name, select Calendar Settings . On the resulting page the calendar ID is shown in a section labelled Calendar Address . The calendar ID for a user’s primary calendar is the same as that user’s email address.

If a client program (such as Mozilla Sunbird) requires a calendar collection as the starting point, the URI to connect to is:

https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/caldav/v2/calid/events

The old endpoint https://www.google.com/calendar/dav is deprecated and no longer supported; use it at your own risk. We recommend you transition to the new endpoint format described above.

Except as otherwise noted, the content of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License, and code samples are licensed under the Apache 2.0 License. For details, see our Site Policies. Java is a registered trademark of Oracle and/or its affiliates."

I do not see the problem.

At the office we use Thunderbird with its Calendar integrated with it. I have my (personal) Google calendar linked into it and this works fine to me. I can add and change my private entries at will and they are synced to my phone as well.

In the same application (TB + Calendar) we have the calendars that NC is providing us. So we have an PC based GUI and a browser based GUI for NC calendars

The/Our aim and difficulty is what this topic is about: how to integrate an owned Google calendar into the web based interface of NC.

The properties of the calendar in TB entry looks like:
googleapi://re…rs@gmail.com/?calendar=re…rs%40gmail.com
During the creation of this setting a specific GUI route is presented by Google in order to safeguard the security.

This could be made workable with NC I guess. TB is open source as well, so better copied well than created badly, as the say in Dutch.

Maybe this helps to get more experienced people te get this working…

Ehhh sorry that I don’t get the solution here. What do I need to do now exactly? I get the same problem. I have subscribted the calendar of google in NC but I can’t create or edit any entry.

How to change that?

I resolved it by installing SoGo Connector V60.0. You can download from
https://sogo.nu/download.html#/frontends

@ jeancf
Can you give more details about how you did it? I am missing 2 way sync of google calendar in NC.

A possible way would be to use vdirsyncer to keep your data in sync between Google and Nextcloud. I personally don’t believe that the desired function will be implemented soon, because the main Nextcloud development focus is on creating a private cloud and not on syncing data with all kind of external systems.

Hi @JimmyKater,
I am in this situation.
I read your post and to be honest, I knew this procedure and already can read all my google calendars on NC.
Yet, I cannot take google out of the picture just yet. And I need to write to some of the google shared calendars I have (my google calendars that I share with other in the family).
As now we are few NC version up the line in 2020…
Any idea if is actually possible to edit within NC an imported google calendar?
If not possible, at least I stop looking…
thanks
kattivius

1 Like

Even just being able to copy from Google calendar to NC calendar within the NC web app would work for me.

Check-out the available Nextcloud apps and search for “google” :wink:

2 Likes