Don't use bountysource anymore!

I received this today
Hi

Youā€™re receiving this because we updated our Terms of Service.

Withdrawal of new Terms of Service

Yesterday, we communicated a change to the Bountysource Terms of Service (ToS) agreement.

These changes have been withdrawn and the ToS reverted to its prior state.

The ToS will be revised and clarified in the future.

1 Like

They pulled a ā€œGitlabā€ and had to reverse course because of the backlash it seemsā€¦ Still, the chance stands that they will do it again sometime in the future by their last sentence.

1 Like

Where did you get that number from?

FYI Iā€™ve just requested a refund of all my current bounties, so I can transfer my account balance to Nextcloud Include before the next surprise ToS change pops up.

1 Like

that link included a list of issues and a summary last night. Right now it comes up empty. Sorry, I did not take a screenshot. I was not expecting this to break or be removed so quickly.

I get an error 500 for one of the requests on that page, maybe they have a ton of requests right now and something broke down, or maybe it was removed to not make the cash grab as obvious.

1 Like

Itā€™s been like that for week. You just have to be lucky. Sometimes you get a plain HTML page with a HTTP500, then a nicer error page, then sometimes a supposedly working page but with missing data, or if youā€™re like one of the 1% then you get a full working page.

1 Like

What do you mean by they ā€œpulled a Gitlabā€? What was the story about GitLab? I am not aware, thanks.

Tried to include tracking into their paid products: https://hub.packtpub.com/gitlab-retracts-its-privacy-invasion-policy-after-backlash-from-community/

Did a quick search online and found OpenCollective has been used successfully for bounties. 10% just like bountysource, plus 3.x% cc fee.

Looks like you could use Github tags to reflect the bounties created (and collected) in OpenCollective as Jhipster has. If you receive donations on OpenCollective, looks like those can to be redistributed back towards bounties.

Another option is to use this forum to track bounties by creating the appropriate tags and editing titles to include $bounty amount placed in OpenCollective.

right now, it works. I distinctly remember it being $10,090 and small change yesterday. Now itā€™s just a bit below $10,000. Hereā€™s a screenshot:

That is because Bookmarks Sharing bounty was awarded to the one and only @marcelklehr. :heart:

Note how that issue was filed 10 April 2 :bomb:13 and first replies from him were Nov 14, 2016 :exploding_head: which means it took seven years to fulfill. He has ascended.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve forwarded info on this to asknoahshow.com and Jupiter Broadcasting, in the hopes one of these major podcasts will discuss it with a larger audience in the next week.

Also posted about this to Syncthing forum.

Here are the original emailsā€¦
Click for: Terms of Service Update email

Hi,

You are receiving this email because we are updating the Bountysource Terms of Service, effective 1st July 2020.

Whatā€™s changing?

We have added a Time-Out clause to the Bounties section of the agreement:

2.13 Bounty Time-Out.

If no Solution is accepted within two years after a Bounty is posted, then the Bounty will be withdrawn and the amount posted for the Bounty will be retained by Bountysource. For Bounties posted before June 30, 2018, the Backer may redeploy their Bounty to a new Issue by contacting support@bountysource.com before July 1, 2020. If the Backer does not redeploy their Bounty by the deadline, the Bounty will be withdrawn and the amount posted for the Bounty will be retained by Bountysource.

You can read the full Terms of Service here

What do I need to do?

If you agree to the new terms, you donā€™t have to do anything.

If you have a bounty posted prior to June 30, 2018 that is not currently being solved, email us at support@bountysource.com to redeploy your bounty. Or, if you do not agree with the new terms, please discontinue using Bountysource.

Thanks for reading

Bountysource Team

Click for: Terms of Service withdrawn, revised ToS promised email

Hi

Youā€™re receiving this because we updated our Terms of Service.

Withdrawal of new Terms of Service

Yesterday, we communicated a change to the Bountysource Terms of Service (ToS) agreement.

These changes have been withdrawn and the ToS reverted to its prior state.

The ToS will be revised and clarified in the future.

Thankyou

Bountysource Team

support@bountysource.com

2 Likes

Small update: I request a refund of all my pending bounties and it looks like all of them returned to my Bountysource account. Yay on that.

Iā€™ll double check if anything was missed, otherwise Iā€™ll request a cash out but not to my personal PayPal but the one of Nextcloud Include. If that works flawless Iā€™ll share the details so others can do they same if they want.

:v:

3 Likes

Hey,
I think it would be good to look out for an alternative platform in order to replace BS.

What about https://freedomsponsors.org/ ? Any experiences?

The money and dynamics through BS might have been small but I think itā€™s important to offer an easy way to put some money on bugs/features etc.

That is a separate discussion, Iā€™d say.

Letā€™s focus on getting out of BS here first and find an alternative later.

My personal experience is that this bounty places on github ticket sets so many wrong expectations like people think this significantly speeds things up when it doesnā€™t and typically just attracts bounty hunters that do not care about maintenance once the PR is in.

1 Like

I just received the confirmation by Bountysource that my money was transferred. Iā€™ll await KDE e.V.'s response on a confirmation that the money was received and if or whom I may share the PayPal address with as I donā€™t want to leak something that is not supposed to be public.

Iā€™ll keep you posted on the progress.

Good news: the money was received at KDE e.V.'s account and could be assigned to Nextcloud Include.

So for those who would also like to transfer/donate their Bountysource money there I would suggest the following plan

1. Check your Bountysource account history at https://www.bountysource.com/activity to be sure there are no bounties that you forgot to claim. Sounds strange but happened to me ā€¦
  2. Get your pending bounties refunded for the tickets that you back by contacting support@bountysource.com. Tell them that the integration doesnā€™t work, you do not agree with their ToS changes, Nextcloud is migrating away from this platform or any other sensible reason, and thus you would like to get the money back. I canā€™t guarantee that they will do that for everyone, but at least that was ok for my concerns.
  3. Request a cash out to KDE e.V.
    kde-ev-board@kde.org
    KDE e.V.
    PrinzenstraƟe 85 F
    10969 Berlin
    Germany
  4. Once you got a confirmation (PayPal receipt) that the cash out has been done, drop an email to Lydia of KDE e.V so they can assign the new donation to Nextcloud Include. Forwarding the pdf receipt might help link the donation because it contains the PayPal transaction ID.

Cheers and thanks to everyone who supports Nextcloud Include with this donation :v:

If you have any issues with this process let me know here or via a DM if it contains sensitive information.

Iā€™ll try to discuss the next steps for the overall Bountysource situation internally, like if/when/how we want to disable the tracker and generally get all pending bounties refunded to the backers.

5 Likes

Bountysource told me that the new Terms.of Service have been withdrawn (in an email on June 19).

Does that change the situation?

1 Like

That is correct. Yet the integration with Github had been broken for 2y. They continued to promise a solution and a shift in stakeholder priorities but they never got it working. That is why you didnā€™t see the Bountysource labels, titles or footers anymore on more ā€œrecentā€ Mail tickets.

Just see the previous replies. I explained some of the issues already and the revoked ToS was also linked.

The ToS email was definitely a trigger to urge getting money off the platform, but I/we have been planning this for quite a while.

2 Likes

And if youā€™ve followed their strategy a bit you can only assume their next steps. I have lost faith into their platform. They will find another way to allocate money. This ToS was not acceptable, but Iā€™m confident they are working on a revised clause just like they introduced the inactivity fee (to which some of us have lost all their earnings).

I just saw that the following phrase shows up in nextcloud (mail) related issues on github:

Want to back this issue? Post a bounty on it! We accept bounties via Bountysource.

I guess it should be deactivated.

2 Likes