Collabora Online Developer Edition 4.0 is here: edit documents on mobile and more!

Originally published at: Collabora Online Developer Edition 4.0 is here: edit documents on mobile and more! - Nextcloud

Today, Collabora Productivity has made a release candidate for version 4.0 of CODE available. This includes the exciting improvements that enable Collabora to be integrated in the Nextcloud mobile apps, as well as several other improvements we worked on with Collabora to deliver to our users. We’ll provide an overview of what is new below, with some screenshots!

Major improvements

The improvements to Collabora Online in this release are spread over three main areas:
  • Mobile and high resolution display support
  • Document signing
  • LibreOffice 6.0 upgrade

We worked with Collabora on the first point, with design improvements and deeper integration in Nextcloud and making it possible to edit documents in our mobile apps. This resulted in a more modern look and support for our sidebar while editing documents as shown in this image:

You see the new toolbar there, which has a new design, shows the last modification of the document and lets you change the name in-line. A hide menu bar icon is also there to just show the toolbar while you’re editing.

Not visible is the new shape editing menu, and the updated shape resizing process which shows you a preview of the new shape rather than a blue outline.

Mobile editing

Collabora Online is now integrated in the Nextcloud mobile clients. Collabora Online 4.0 does the loading, layout and other heavy computations on the server, saving battery life on mobile devices. The toolbars have been overhauled, now auto-hiding and able to scroll and adapt to deeper hierarchies on small screens. Zooming with your fingers (pinch-to-zoom) works and large dialogues can also be displayed, letting you pan and zoom where needed.

An example of these improvements is the special character dialog, allowing users to find and insert various signs.

High DPI display support

Mobile devices like tablets as well as many modern laptops have very high resolution displays. Until now the browser would take care of zooming, making interface elements look pixelated and unsharp. With this release comes support for high resolution rendering on the server, also using scalable icons.

Other improvements

Other improvements include a lot of performance and security work, improved thumbnailing and updated translations.

This version also allows you to add images from Nextcloud directly into Collabora and other improvements we already talked about last month.

Versions in the sidebar
Editing a document
Inserting an image from Nextcloud

Just yesterday we published version 5.0 of Nextcloud Talk and 3.4 of our Android Files app, which combined with CODE 4.0 make all these features available to you!

Vereign blockchain signing integration

Collabora Online Developer Edition 4.0 introduces another main feature: document authentication with qualified electronic signatures (under Eu and Swiss law). Users can sign up with the Vereign beta program to test this out, after enabling it in the configuration file, they can use File → Sign document to activate the toolbar and log in. This technology supports storing and publishing copies of signed documents, protected by the blockchain.

Collabora Office 6.0 improvements

The LibreOffice 6.0 release provides the foundations for Collabora Online 6.0 and with it come many improvements across the applications, from performance to extensive compatibility enhancements. For details on this, see this page.

If you want to get started with online document editing in Nextcloud, see this page on our website.

4 Likes

Very much appreciated.

One question - how can this be implemented? I assume I need to upgrade the Collabora/CODE server? And the NC connection application?

I would appreciate instructions on how to upgrade the server. It is a docker container.

Roland

Den tisdag 18 december 2018 14:25:55 CET, system noreply@nextcloud.com skrev:

system

December 18

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/collabora-online-developer-edition-4.0-is-here-edit-documents-on-mobile-and-more/

Today, Collabora Productivity has made a release candidate for version 4.0 of CODE available. This includes the exciting improvements that enable Collabora to be integrated in the Nextcloud mobile apps, as well as several other improvements we worked on with Collabora to deliver to our users. We’ll provide an overview of what is new below, with some screenshots!

Major improvements

The improvements to Collabora Online in this release are spread over three main areas:

• Mobile and high resolution display support
  • Document signing
  • LibreOffice 6.0 upgrade
    We worked with Collabora on the first point, with design improvements and deeper integration in Nextcloud and making it possible to edit documents in our mobile apps. This resulted in a more modern look and support for our sidebar while editing documents as shown in this image:

You see the new toolbar there, which has a new design, shows the last modification of the document and lets you change the name in-line. A hide menu bar icon is also there to just show the toolbar while you’re editing.

Not visible is the new shape editing menu, and the updated shape resizing process which shows you a preview of the new shape rather than a blue outline.

Mobile editing

Collabora Online is now integrated in the Nextcloud mobile clients. Collabora Online 4.0 does the loading, layout and other heavy computations on the server, saving battery life on mobile devices. The toolbars have been overhauled, now auto-hiding and able to scroll and adapt to deeper hierarchies on small screens. Zooming with your fingers (pinch-to-zoom) works and large dialogues can also be displayed, letting you pan and zoom where needed.
An example of these improvements is the special character dialog, allowing users to find and insert various signs.

High DPI display support

Mobile devices like tablets as well as many modern laptops have very high resolution displays. Until now the browser would take care of zooming, making interface elements look pixelated and unsharp. With this release comes support for high resolution rendering on the server, also using scalable icons.

Other improvements

Other improvements include a lot of performance and security work, improved thumbnailing and updated translations.
This version also allows you to add images from Nextcloud directly into Collabora and other improvements we already talked about last month.

Versions in the sidebar

Editing a document

Inserting an image from Nextcloud

Just yesterday we published version 5.0 of Nextcloud Talk and 3.4 of our Android Files app, which combined with CODE 4.0 make all these features available to you!

Vereign blockchain signing integration

Collabora Online Developer Edition 4.0 introduces another main feature: document authentication with qualified electronic signatures (under Eu and Swiss law). Users can sign up with the Vereign beta program to test this out, after enabling it in the configuration file, they can use File → Sign document to activate the toolbar and log in. This technology supports storing and publishing copies of signed documents, protected by the blockchain.

Collabora Office 6.0 improvements

The LibreOffice 6.0 release provides the foundations for Collabora Online 6.0 and with it come many improvements across the applications, from performance to extensive compatibility enhancements. For details on this, see this page.
If you want to get started with online document editing in Nextcloud, see this page on our website.

I just ran docker-compose pull in a setup based on the Nextcloud docker-compose example where I just added a CODE container. Update went flawlessly and the new version is close to Google Docs now, very nice indeed.

I still cannot open documents from the new Android app though, the app just displays “no app set up to handle this file type”. Any idea?

2 Likes

Same problem here.
Updated everything (NC15, CODE 4.0, Android App 3.4, Collabora App (richdocument) 3.06) but it still doesn’t work in the app. Get the same error message “no app set up to handle this file type”. Also I can’t create a textfile in the app.
Collabora works perfectly fine in the browser and shows that it is CODE 4.0.
I have no ideas what I could try to get it running in the app.

Same here:

• no mobile editing
  • no chat/revision sidebar handle

The news item on the Collabora website states it’s RC:

I upgraded the docker image with no issues. The new version looks good in the PC webb-browser. In the mobile phone (Android) I can open, zoom and edit files in the browser (Chrome - added to the startscreen). In the Android app the files are opened in the default (Microsoft Office) application (which is OK by the way). But I cannot edit and save from there.

So for me the mobile browser works best for reading and editing files. The Android app is for synching and other things I assume.

Nope, can’t get it to work; for me always white screen and spinning circle.

I’ve successfully reinstalled and upgraded former versions more than 100 times, so I know the commands and the order are correct.

Is there a way to specify a different tag to pull a specific (3.4.2) version instead of the latest?

my playbook works. nc15/php73/collabora40
(fresh install. not update.)
and a reboot of the server is no longer necessary. :v:

1 Like

How can I update to collabora with docker-compose?

Add something like this to your YML:

collabora:
image: collabora/code
restart: always
expose:
cap_add:
- MKNOD
environment:
- domain=yourdomain.com
- VIRTUAL_PORT=9980
- VIRTUAL_PROTO=https
- VIRTUAL_HOST=office.yourdomain.com
- LETSENCRYPT_HOST=office.yourdomain.com
- LETSENCRYPT_EMAIL=you@email.com
- username=admin
- password=pass
networks:
- proxy-tier

Had anyone success with editing a document from the android app so far?

@micmon @Marc23 @Lox did you just click on the file in the Android client or use the three dot menu? The menu should display a new menu item that say “open with collabora” in case the server tells the client that code 4.0 is available, other than that the Android client needs to be at least version 3.4.0

The android app is 3.4.1, the collabora app is 3.1.0 and code is 4.0.0.

If I tap on the file it says “no app set up to handle this file type”. The tree-dot-menu only contains a “open with” which results in the same error.

1 Like

I tried both. But neither version worked. The Item “open with collabora” doesn’t appear. I’m running CODE 4.0 which works perfectly fine on the webbrowser and the android version is also 3.4.0.
Do you have any ideas or should I open a bug report on GitHub?

Same here… LOOLWSD 4.0.0 (git hash 3c3bc88), LOKit Collabora Office 6.0-18 (git hash e74e598), Collabora app 3.1 and Android app 3.4. Collabora works fine via web UI but “open with collabora” does not show in the Android app.

I pinged @tobiasKaminsky about this via IRC but he likely won’t respond before tomorrow :confused:

@Andy

This does not work in the Android app. Have NC 15.0.0, Collabora 4.0.4, Android app 3.4.0. Editing the file is not an alternative in the 3-dot menu.

Den torsdag 20 december 2018 15:15:48 CET, Andy Scherzinger noreply@nextcloud.com skrev:

Andy
Android app developer

December 20

@micmon @Marc23 @Lox did you just click on the file in the Android client or use the three dot menu? The menu should display a new menu item that say “open with collabora” in case the server tells the client that code 4.0 is available, other than that the Android client needs to be at least version 3.4.0

Both and nothing. I just upgraded the Nextcloud’s collabora app to 3.1.0 and still no android editing and no talk sidebar in the web editor.

The first time the 3-dot menu gives me an alternativ to download the file. When it has been downloaded it gets a green mark in the icon. For the file with this greenmark on the icon the 3-dot menue givs an alternative “Open with” with no other alternative. But when I choose that it opens in my default Microsoft Office app. And if I want to edit I need to change format to docx and the changes does not save to the server.