Can't edit own account under "Users" (including admin)

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 18.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Ubuntu
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.1):

The issue you are facing:
Whoever is signed in, cannot edit their own user account under the “Users” management page. I could edit other accounts, and I elevated another user to admin, then they could edit other accounts, including my admin account (e.g. add me to a group) but they couldn’t edit their own, and when signed in as my account there was no pencil icon to click to edit my own User entry.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. Go to Users control panel.
  2. Try to edit your own account.
1 Like

I have the same issue. Creating another user to manage my own account doesn’t sit well with me, though.

EDIT: Since the opening post does not mention the PHP version and I’m not sure if we differ there: I’m using 7.2.

which php-version do you run? this seems to be an important piece of info here.

plus: what’s in your nextcloud.log?`

For me there is nothing in the log as far as I can tell.

ummm… i read somewhere that nc18.x would require php >=7.3 but i am not sure if that is an approved message or not.

EDiT:
i now know better → Installation on Linux — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

I can confirm this behavior. As soon as I put another user into the “admin” group, this user becomes able to edit all other users except himself. However, the “admin” account is still able to edit this user.

To a certain extend this behavior makes sense, thereby preventing an administrator to remove himself from the “admin” group. If this was not prevented, one could easily lock himself out of administration completely. But on the other hand this introduces other problems like preventing one to set a quota for the “admin” account:

I can also confirm this issue. I can’t assign myself to any other group.

Using Nextcloud 18.0.1 on PHP 7.3.

I’m using PHP 7.3, although I don’t know if that still matters. I think this is how the Users page is configured currently.

I think it is time to open a bug report. Is smb. able to check if this bug is still present in Daily?

yep, me too, NC18.0.1, php 7.3.15
Very annoying as an admin can create a group but then can’t add herself to it without having another admin user and logging out/in or using impersonate.
Needs fixing before 18.0.2 published

Then please report this bug.

Done: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/19760

i think @tflidd was first… just by some minutes --> https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/19758

No, my issue is just some UI problem.

right :frowning: my bad…
but you found a reference over there at gh. --> https://github.com/nextcloud/server/pull/18555

@dirdi
it seems to be a bigger one… they are on it since months but now it seems as if they’d come to a solution and are trying to get it in for 18.0.2

Hi, have the same Problem with NC 18.0.3 - Added a new group video but as admin I cannot join myself to the group. Need to create a 2nd user with admin rights to put my original account to the new group.
Please prioritize this bug!

Thanks

shifted at least to 18.0.4

if you want something to happen faster you’re very welcome to offer your help on github. they need every help they could possibly get. and that’s the way open source goes.

It is comming soon: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/pull/20381