Best cheap hardware to run Nextcloud on?

I was thinking a cache server might come handy too with these specs.
Just add a sata disk and it’s ready, maybe a (pf/opn)sense server :smiley:

I have a ASROCK Board with AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 with 35W running Windows 10 Pro and Nextcloud as a Hyper-V virtual Machine, 3x8TB HDD, 1x2TB HDD and 256GB SSD boot Drive.
Because having roundabout 180.000 MP3 my Raspberry 3 with berryboot and nextcloudpi was so awful slow, I tried to use the Tech & Me VM Version. Even with W10P and Tonido as Windows Cloud … and the Nextcloud VM i have (most time) only ±20% of CPU Time

All depends of the scability your looking for…

I run a Nextcloud server 12.0.5 based A8-6500 8GO RAID6 8*6TO
4.9.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04)
/ apache 2.4.25 / php 7.0.27 / 10.1.26-MariaDB / mysqlnd 5.0.12
/ phpadmin 4.6.6deb4 / Redis server v=3.2.6 / HTTP2 /

I have about 75+ users, and sometimes ( 3 % of time ) my system run dry because of the proc. And sometimes because I run it from home over a ftth bottleneck

@nachoparker, kudos for making NCP available for other platforms! Neat!
A question: I mainly want to use NCP to host photos (sharing links to the photos folders, so that it looks a bit like google photos) - would you recommend Odroid HC1 or Rock64 for that? I tried doing that on RPi3 and it is ridiculously slooooow.

it will always be slower the first time, because it has to generate the previews… also the data gets cached if you recently accessed.

anyhow, they are both good. Probably the odroid HC1 would be a bit better, specially because there are ready to use images for NCP, and not yet for the rock64

1 Like

Just updated to nextcloud 13.0.0 without any troubles, but did my homework before and had all APPS disabled before update. APPS updated and re-enabled after upgrade went fine.

Also updated my server to apache2 2.4.29

Took time to test a pirasberry and … how my god, how do you even consider running anything “production” on that slow hardware. This is a tiny beautiful TOY. It’s fine to tune some domotics on it, but it is like in de La Fontaine Fables, a frog who like to be a bull !!!

I bring the toy to his knew running a SPI firewall in a test environment. Running around 10.000 https request / secondes and that it. SPI crashed due to sda1 latency ( kingstone DTSEG2 ) over usb.

Thank you all for contributing to this thread, I have learned about many new boards specially helios4 which looks like the best NAS solution for me.

Currently I run Nextcloud on Rpi3 (raspian), and I also own Banana Pi M3 which has good specs but:
1- It is only 32bit (so no big files for me, which is very annoying)
2- Supported Kernel is old, and I had to do a lot of workarounds to get the latest nextcloud working on it (and that made me not trust it to be reliable and secure) :disappointed:
3- The SATA port is not a real sata, it is through USB2 to SATA chip so it is exactly like connecting and external drive to one of the USB ports. (And this is the case with many SBC, so don’t be fooled by seeing a sata port on the board, check the CPU specs and see if it does support sata or not)

I started looking at the x86_64 mini PCs (with Celeron Processors like J3455, N3450 N4200 and ~4GB ram) with prices ranging from $150~$250 but most of them state a maximum limitation of 2TB for the attached drive!!! I am not sure why is that!

I even saw some Chinese laptops with similar specs around that price range (actually a bit more ~$270), and I thought why not have one as my NC server, the laptop battery will act as a UPS in case of a power failure and it will always have a keyboard and screen ready whenever you need to fix something.

Then I saw helios4 with real 4x SATA 3.0 and decided to wait :rofl: :rofl:

The Rock64 looks good, but I will wait until I get the feedback from you guys.
And for the time being I think I will try to install Fedora 27 64bit on my RPi3 and see if it will do the job.

this has been “fixed” in Nextcloud 13

The Rock64 works fine with the ayufan image, but I am waiting for a working armbian image to produce preinstalled NCP images

A really bad choice actually:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/474-banana-pi-m3/

Almost all of the other boards you listed is probably better than a Banana Pi M3.

This is great news. Why didn’t I see that when I was reading the new features and changes in 13!
Thank you

So there is no point now to look for a 64bit system right? I am when the memory is <4gb

Well, the performance can be a bit affected due to how the workaround works, but I still haven’t seen the results of any extensive benchmarking test.

I wrote this when NC13 came out, if you want more info

https://ownyourbits.com/2018/02/06/nextcloudpi-updated-to-nc13-brings-ufw-security-improvements-auto-snapshots-and-more/

I know, but I also got it free as a review unit and immediately noticed the usb-sata chip which is why i don’t use that port.
However, other than the stupid software support and old kernel, the hardware is still better than the raspberry pi, which only have 1gb ram, no mmc, and even in the rpi3 the ethernet port is still shared with the other usb port4 (through the SMSC9514 chip) and using one usb channel from the cpu!
So a not so fast gigabit ethernet is still much faster than a slow “fast” ethernet.

And in case of using the rpi as NAS, it means you will use the USB for storage and ethernet for transfer at the same time which will lower the speed even more.

and it was again free :wink:

Ok @nachoparker, I am just about ready to try the NCP install script on the Ayufan Stretch image. (Armbian is still not Stretch, so not luck there…)

I have gotten the latest (6.23) image up and working. I think I have gotten it to where I want it.

I’ve been reading through the various scripts on GitHub an think I have a general understanding of what’s going on. Please remember, I had NOT a Linux expert by any means. And I don’t call myself a programmer any more. Last time I did any real programming was in the early '90’s using Pascal and dBbase/Clipper…

Are there any dependencies I need to worry about when running the script? I think that everything that needs to get installed in called for install within the scripts, right? Any base system utilities that are needed that might not be installed on the Ayufan images? Any other testing or checking you need for this install?

Oh yes, this is on the Rock64 board. I am going to use a 4GB model.

that’s right… it should be just a matter of running the script on a clean image

# curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi/master/install.sh | bash

Thanks, sounds good. I’ll give it a go this week and let you know the results.

Read through the whole thread, very interesting! I have a cubieboard 1 right now and nc13 is unusably slow so looking for an upgrade.

What I am planning to do is a distributed NC with nodes in different geographical locations. Since some of these will not be located at techie people it needs to be in a box with sbc+hdd (2.5") all included.

So far the odroid boards look amazing. The C2 has the same layout as the rpi3 so should be easy to find a box for. I am wondering about the HC1 as it has a box but the fact that it doesn’t have an emmc slot and everything needs to run off the HDD puts me off a bit; I think it might a lot slower.
I would love an odroid xu4 or pine rock64 for more oomph but can’t find proper cases for it :frowning:.
Any recommendations?

Maybe the newest Raspberry Pi Model B+ will be a good choice!. Happy Pi Day!

A 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)
Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
Improved thermal management

3 Likes

Hy,
I am also looking to setup very easy an own NextCloud (haahaa Own-NextCloud). Anyway, I do not want to have a lot of hassle with updating, installing and going deep into Linux and incompatebility questions. Therefore I thought I should go with the Raspberry Pi, but unfortunatly that solution is very slow I read.

Use Case: 1-4 users, myself and my flatmates.
I already have 3x 1TB USB Harddrives (2x USB 3.0) and would like to use them for that project in a RAID combination. Best would be access via SATA.

Now, I do not know what to do. Should I take the Raspberry 3b+ and have a prblem with writing SD card to death and slow data transfer. Should I wait until 2019 for the new Raspberry or go the hard way with more complicated setup of any other SoC solution like Rock64 or odroid xu4? But still the question of connecting all Harddrives via Sata would not be solved.

I like Tamas_Fargo Idea of a distributed network of NC nodes. This would also be a solution for data security (in regards of one harddrive dies).

Did you see the discussion about the Odroid HC1? Seems what you are looking for:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G150229074080

Edit: ok multiple SATA ports are not included, but you could probably get something working with some sort of splitter. No idea what impact that would have on the speed though.

In case you are interested, NCP brings a couple solutions for that, such as replication and BTRFS snapshots. Also it can be installed on odroid, rock64, or x86.