Android client does not detect new files added to nextcloud directory

Nextcloud version: 19.0.7, upgraded on Jan 6 to 24
Operating system and version: LineageOS 18.1

The issue you are facing: I am using a hosted Nextcloud service, and have set up the Nextcloud Sync Client 3.23.1 on my phone. It successfully fetches files from the server and puts them in /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client/nextcloud/user@server.url/ and subdirectories.

The settings in the Nextcloud client are:

• Data storage folder: /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client/
  • Auto upload: set up for /storage/emulated/0/Music/Sound recordings/

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: Yes, I’ve started using this today

Steps to replicate it:

• Install the Nextcloud client and allow it to synchronise from the server
  • Add a file to the filesystem using another app; the app I’m using is Obsidian, which points to a vault I created at /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client/nextcloud/user@server.url/Obsidian
  • Look in the Nextcloud client - the new file does not appear
  • Using the Sync option in the client makes no difference

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging: I cannot access these logs

Other information:

• I have also installed the Nextcloud Sync Client on my desktop PC together with Obsidian and the synchronisation is perfect there.
  • The auto upload of the Sound recordings directory works perfectly.
1 Like

Hello !

I have the same problem with GrapheneOS

Nextcloud Sync Client 3.23.1
Nextcloud version: Nextcloud Hub 3 - 25.0.1

Hi!
Same here: arcolinux mit nextcloud desktop. On the other hand pixel6 Android 13 latest nextcloud App. Read about a solution with synchthing on Reddit but first want to try it with the described setup.

As fa as I understand, thats (unfortunately) expected behaviour:
https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/285

And here:

This is not a solution to the Android client problem, but I sorted out what I needed by switching to Joplin instead of Obsidian. Sorry Obsidian, maybe next time. Joplin has WebDAV sync options, and also syncs with Nextcloud, with a very similar configuration experience on desktop (I tested Linux) and mobile (I tested Android). Since I didn’t have any documents in Obsidian yet, this is a good solution for me for advanced note synchronisation (better than built-in Nextcloud Notes which I think are just plain text).