Worked example of changing the (skeleton) default files and folders in the Nextcloud All-in-One Docker Image

Hi,

Mostly for my own benefit I’ve written a short worked example of how you can change a user’s default files and folders (aka ‘the skeleton folder’) when you have installed Nextcloud AIO Docker. It might be helpful for others:

Feedback or suggestions gratefully received (though replies likely slow).

NB - I would have posted this in ‘How to’ but don’t have the forum kudos to do so…

Hi, you adjusted the core folder which will be overwritten upon the next update.

See GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: Nextcloud AIO stands for Nextcloud All-in-One and provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance. how to do things properly.

1 Like

Hmm. Despite having read that page (I thought fairly thoroughly) and doing a whole lot of googling; I completely missed that paragraph. Would have made things easier a couple of weeks ago…

I’ll run through this and update / amend / delete the post when I have time.

Very much appreciate your correction.

I’ve thought about this a bit more and why this happened.

Kind of figured it out. I’m new to Nextcloud. So the original question I needed to answer was “How do I change the default files and folders that a user sees in Nextcloud.” I read the FAQ. There was nothing on it.

There is a section that tells you how to “define a custom skeleton directory.” But of course you need to know that defining a custom skeleton directory is what changes the default files and folders. Although I don’t think ‘skeleton directory’ is a bad name at all, I don’t think you would necessarily know what it does without some background context.

Of course when after I had figured out that I needed to change the skeleton directory, from looking up other resources; I had already discounted the FAQ (I mean I’d already read that right - and it wasn’t there). Of course in hindsight it would have been great if when I’d heard about the skeleton directory I had re-read the FAQ, but it just didn’t occur to me.

I wouldn’t mind raising an issue on Github to add a bit more context on this para on the FAQ, basically saying what the problem is that you are trying to solve / provide context. I’d be happy to raise the issue / pull request myself (though not tonight…).