Windows phone app?

Hi folks,

I see there’s a windows phone repo for owncloud, any chance of seeing a client for nextcloud?

Undoubtedly low priority at the moment, but something to consider all the same!

2 Likes

Unless someone from the community dedicates his time I’d say the chance is near 0

Guessed as much but at least there’s an official request on the forums should someone with the knowledge take interest.

A universal Windows app would be great, using the same client across desktop and mobile.

Generally this isn’t a bad idea. The big problem is, that the desktop client is doing some jobs a mobile app does not need and vice versa (picture upload). Making it universal would reduce the functions for desktop and mobile :wink: …also per restriction of the platform because apps in Windows 10 are not as extensive in their functionality as desktop apps. This would also require to drop Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 support, except we want to support and develop several apps.

I was Windows Phone user for some months (now i am a :apple:-fanboy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and i have to say that we should not focus on that platform. Also after Windows 10 it is too much in change.

Recently, Microsoft has buried the Lumias. :skull: …the “Surface Phone” should be the next try in 2017, but who knows what happens …and maybe they decide to create a brand new programming language in that time or change the whole concept. Would not be the first time (8 -> 8.1 -> 10)

So it would be waste of time currently :grin:

I wanted to add that the feature running android apps or porting them to Windows 10 easily (called Project Astoria) was killed by Microsoft early this year :unamused: However … there are still bridges to bring existing code (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges)

Did you know, that Windows Phone has a market share under 1% currently :scream:

…maybe they have more enterprise-section customers but I think enterprises with Windows Phone are using them because of Exchange, SharePoint and stuff like this instead of Nextcloud :wink:

I see what you’re saying, though photo upload is implemented for Google photos, I think Dropbox can upload screenshots, etc. There’s a niche there for desktop apps auto-uploading. Can’t disagree with any other points though!

I’m aware of Windows Phone market share, I also know they’re shifting focus to the enterprise where I envision most of NC revenue being generated. My WP is a corporate device and we’re currently discussing the use of NC as a team file repo (sharepoint is awful).

Swings and roundabouts :slight_smile:

1 Like

The big problem is, that the desktop client is doing some jobs a mobile app does not need and vice versa (picture upload). Making it universal would reduce the functions for desktop and mobile.

I think this is not completely accurate: I’ve been following the Windows system since the early beta releases including watching the development platform. From what I’ve seen, the idea of Universal Windows Apps is similar to that of progressive-enhancement in the Web/Web-app world where you build-out your app to selectively enable features depending upon the presence of supporting technology in the host system. One contrived example would be a communications app (think Skype) where it behaves the same on PC and mobile in most respects but allows to utilise the cellular voice network if it detects that the host system has such capability. Therefore I would posit that:

The big problem is, that the desktop client is doing some jobs a mobile app does not need and vice versa (picture upload).

… can be overcome via feature-detection. i.e. if the system has the ability to take photos then it doesn’t matter whether it’s mobile or static; we should allow automated upload regardless.

The thing that I feel needs to be emphasised is that a UWP application should not be replacement for a sync client. Both are acceptable to have installed at the same time as is having either one individually thereby agreeing to the limitations of whichever you chose. If you have access to a Windows PC then check the difference between the OneDrive UWP app from the store and the downloadable sync client for an example of the differences to which I’m alluding for a cloud storage app vs sync client.

If going universal, it might be better to go HTML5 with platform specific services. There is nothing fancy in the mobile apps in terms of UI.

To be more precise, keep the desktop clients as-is and have a new HTML5 app which can be installed on various <1% market share platforms.

The HTML5 app which is basically the current web interface ;D

1 Like

I have owncloudClient installed on my WP. But it seems that the developer has taken off his app from the store.

I’d like also the have an proper WP app. Unfortunately WP developers are rare. Unfortunately I’ve only little WP experience.

1 Like

Yes, but the GUI is rarely the problem, you need to start some background processes to sync folders, etc.

I second this: [quote=“oparoz, post:10, topic:1336”]
you need to start some background processes to sync folders, etc.
[/quote]

There’s nothing major wrong with the web interface (it doesn’t always let me bring up the keyboard when creating a new folder but otherwise…) but it doesn’t offer the functionality of native apps.

1 Like

I am a former Windows Phone developer and user. Currently, I am using android. I would love to see a UWP app for nextcloud. Lets see if I get some time from my work/family. Until then, I hope someone will make it.

4 Likes

Now available for Windows 10 Mobile (…and UWP soon): https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/store/p/nextcloud-app/9nblggh532xq

Repository: https://github.com/nextcloud/windows-universal … Contributions welcome :facepunch::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

jippeeed thx @MariusBluem

Yaaaaaaay!

(20 char)