Windows desktop client ~10x times slower than web frontend?

Nextcloud version: 25.0.3
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Apache or nginx version: Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu)
PHP version: 8.2

The issue you are facing:

Via the web frontend I get the follwonig speeds:

  • download ~ 2,4 GBit/s (O.K. as expected)
  • upload ~ 1,2 GBit/s (why only 1/2 of download)

Via the nextcloud app (Ver.: 3.6.6) on windows 10 I get the follwoing speeds:

  • download ~ 0,15 GBit/s (ugh, at least 10x times slower)
  • upload ~ 0,1 GBit/s (ugh, at least 10x times slower, also upload slower then download)

My questions here are:

  • 1. Is the slower speed of the windows app as expected due to the nature of the app? (webdav)

    1. Why do I only get half the upload speed of the Download speed?
      (Server/Client - CPU: both i9 Intel 10gen, both NVME SSD’s gen4)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : Yes

Steps to replicate it:

I’ve just installed a new Nextcloud instance (Ver.: 25.0.3) in my local 2,5GBit/s network.
Server and client are in the same network and are using local hostnames.
I followed the

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Keine Server-Log-Dateien
Alles funktioniert gut

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'XXXXXXXXXXXX',
  'passwordsalt' => 'XXXXXXXXXXXX',
  'secret' => 'XXXXXXXXXXXX',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => 'hostname.local',
  'datadirectory' => '/srv/hcdata',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://hostname.local',
  'dbname' => 'ncloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'ncloud',
  'dbpassword' => 'XXXXXXXXXXXX',
  'installed' => true,
  'default_phone_region' => 'DE',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'filelocking.enabled' => 'true',
  'redis' =>
  array (
    'host' => '/var/run/redis/redis.sock',
    'port' => 0,
    'timeout' => 0.0,
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

No Errors

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

No Errors

Hi @Tux_1024,
You are missing the required support template. Please fill this form out and edit into your post.

This will give technical info and logs needed to help you! Thanks.

Problem solving connection speeds would require using tools like smoke ping on your network and detailing your network interfaces, etc. Check nc against whatever else is happening or scheduled on your Lan. Might be something on the windows machine eating up resources, but I don’t know. Good luck and hope you find a nice network monitoring tool (glances or similar) to resolve it.

I’ve updated my original post.
Thanks for showing me the Template.

I’d like to know the download answer too.
The client is very stably capped at 109 MB/s, but browser goes way up to 300+ MB/s.
My network is 10G, the 300+ figure is quite good for HDDs in my case. No jumbo frames set, and this goes through a router to another subnet.

btw, I did fumble around with
occ config:app:set files max_chunk_size --value YOURVALUE
you may ask the current, using
occ config:app:get files max_chunk_size

… not knowing if this is involved, that is.

New updates on this:

  • Since my original post there was an php8.2 update on ubuntu22, witch some how fixed the extremly slow speeds (> 0,2Gbit/s) with the windows app (3.6.6). After that I was getting close to ~1,0 Gbit/s in both directions. Not perfect but one step closer to the max possible network speeds!

  • I’ve just updated the windows app to 3.7.3
    This improved the upload speeds now close to ~ 2GBit/s form within windows with the app.
    Great but there is still a headroom of ~0,5GBit/s more.
    Whats also strange here via the web frontend I only get a maximum of ~1,2GBit/s.
    Also the download speed improved to around ~1,5GBit/s.
    Allso great but still ~1GBit/s short in comparison of a downlaod via the web frontend here I can get the full 2,5GBit/s.

I allso run iperf3 tests: steady 2,5GBit/s speeds in both directions.
Futhermore I tested my SSD speeds on both systems: read/write way more than < 300MB/s