Windows 10 Explorer Freezes When Client Starts

Windows Explorer has been freezing every time I start my PC (busy cursor when I put my mouse over the taskbar). Through process of elimination and some testing I found that it freezes when the nextcloud client is started. Restarting windows explorer gets things going again, but it’s becoming tedious to do that every time I start my computer.

I’m running the current client (2.2.4 build 2) on Windows 10 (64bit). I’ve tried reinstalling the nextcloud client, running “sfc /scannow”, tried every combination settings I can think of, etc… and it locks up every time.

Any thoughts?

Do you have the same problem when you start the client manually? If yes, start with the logging feature enabled: https://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/2.2/troubleshooting.html#obtaining-the-client-log-file

Yes, explorer freezes when I start the client manually. If I restart explorer, stop the client, and start the client again, explorer will freeze every time. I’ll take a look at the logs when I get home tonight.

You could also check if you have the same problem with the owncloud client in order to find out if the problem is related to theming.

I switched from owncloud to nextcloud about a month ago. I had been running owncloud for a while with no issues.

I may have solved it…

I read somewhere that Dropbox can cause similar issues to what I was seeing, so I uninstalled it. The taskbar was still freezing when starting the nextcloud client, so I did further searching until I came across the following command to run in powershell.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register”$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

After rebooting, nextcloud was started and my taskbar stayed responsive. I reinstalled Dropbox just to see what would happen, and things are still running smoothly. Time will tell…

Now I need to figure out why the little green/blue sync icons on all of my folders disappeared.

Edit: Due to the limited amount of folder overlays that windows allows, Dropbox was eating up all of the slots. Goodbye Dropbox, hello nextcloud sync icons overlays.