Windows 10 client sync error

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 19.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu server 18.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)
PHP version (eg, 7.1): PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.6
Windows client version: 3.0.2 (Windows)

The issue you are facing:

I had some files located in “/Documents/DG” then on the web interface i moved them to “/Documents/Work/DG Server Files/DG” and now i keep getting this error on my Win10 client:
Documents\DG and 1 other file(s) could not be synced due to errors.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

The output of your Nextcloud client log in Admin > Logging:

020-10-12 13:01:58:565 [ info nextcloud.gui.application ]:	Sync state changed for folder  "" :  "Sync Running"
2020-10-12 13:01:58:565 [ info nextcloud.sync.propagator ]:	Starting INSTRUCTION_RENAME propagation of "Documents/DG" by OCC::PropagateLocalRename(0x26b388df9b0)
2020-10-12 13:01:58:565 [ warning nextcloud.sync.filesystem ]:	Error renaming file "C:/Users/USER/Nextcloud/Documents/DG" to "C:/Users/USER/Nextcloud/Documents/Work/DG Server Files/DG" failed:  "Access is denied."
2020-10-12 13:01:58:565 [ warning nextcloud.sync.propagator ]:	Could not complete propagation of "Documents/Work/DG Server Files/DG" by OCC::PropagateLocalRename(0x26b388df9b0) with status 2 and error: "Access is denied."
2020-10-12 13:01:58:565 [ warning nextcloud.gui.activity ]:	Item  "Documents/DG"  retrieved resulted in  "Access is denied."
2020-10-12 13:01:58:565 [ warning nextcloud.gui.activity ]:	Item  "Documents/DG"  retrieved resulted in error  "Access is denied."
2020-10-12 13:01:58:570 [ info nextcloud.gui.activity ]:	Error successfully added to the notification list:  "Access is denied."
2020-10-12 13:01:58:570 [ info nextcloud.sync.database ]:	Closing DB "C:/Users/USER/AppData/Roaming/Nextcloud/._sync_7646fc1ceec7.db"
2020-10-12 13:01:58:575 [ info nextcloud.sync.engine ]:	CSync run took  22505 ms
2020-10-12 13:01:58:575 [ info nextcloud.sync.database ]:	sqlite3 version "3.24.0"
2020-10-12 13:01:58:575 [ info nextcloud.sync.database ]:	sqlite3 journal_mode= "wal"
2020-10-12 13:01:58:838 [ info nextcloud.gui.folder ]:	Client version 3.0.2stable-Win64 (build 20200924)  Qt 5.12.9  SSL  OpenSSL 1.1.1g  21 Apr 2020
2020-10-12 13:01:58:838 [ warning nextcloud.gui.folder ]:	SyncEngine finished with ERROR
2020-10-12 13:01:58:843 [ info nextcloud.gui.folder ]:	Folder sync result:  3

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Seems that the Windows user running Nextcloud client does not have necessary access to the folder : C:/Users/USER/Nextcloud/Documents/Work/DG Server Files/DG

Check your NTFS security settings of any folders up to DG. I guess that the user is “USER”, check if it have read/write/modify access to the folders and files.


I tried running the client as an Administrator and it still gives the same error.

But I checked anyway and my PC user has full access.

FYI, i replaced my username with USER :slight_smile:

1 Like

in my case nextcloud web interface provided wrong url. It gave me:


when the correct one was:


note three changes:

http -> https
dav -> webdav
no files/user part

Hello Nizar,

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have run into this situation in the past and resorted to reuploading the affected folter tree after deleting the parent folder.

I have at least one instance of this at this time. The file was renamed from ‘12.âbc’ to ‘12. âbc’. On the server side, it has the name with the space, but on the Windows desktop it has the same logs as you have in the original post and the name has no space. No corresponding logs on the server-side which is unfortunate, which means that users will always need to complain before this gets fixed.

This is very unsettling as it did not happen before we upgrade from Owncloud to Nextcloud.


EDIT: I did end up finding the root cause. It turned out that even after reboot there was an notepad.exe process accessing the file in that folder and thus the Nextcloud application was throwing ‘Access is Denied’ on every client-side log. I found the rogue process via Task Manager > Resource Monitor > CPU > Associated Handles > searched for the directory name in the error. Additionally, there was no notepad window with that file open. It is a shame that the error is not more descriptive since there are different type of permission controls in play in this case.