Why doesn't android client upload existing pictures?

Any luck that we see increment 3 in the near future?

I’d love to have it :slight_smile:

Thanks

As for the near future my guess would be - no.
3.2.0 is already in release candidate phase and I am unsure if anybody finds the time to work on this for 3.3. But if anybody is up for the task please feel free to pick it up :slight_smile:

well my last coding lies some years in the past, after my degree and never tried any coding for android, so I’m unsure, if I’m capable of that :wink: But well … let’s see.

Thanks for your info!

1 Like

With the Android client I have always found the instant photo upload somewhat precarious. Therefore some years ago, I started using the syncronising app “FolderSync” (Tacit Dynamics). It has a multitude of storage management features and cloud support. The ownCloud API hooks up with my home Nextcloud and I upload+download pictures and various NC material with my phone and tablet. All the important stuff on my Android devices is captured and stored on Nextcloud using this software tool.

With the upload button of the client

A setup option like a manual resync option would be much more intuitive. For example, the corresponding destination folders for the year and month could be created automatically.

3.1.0 has it in the menu with the 3 points top right

Which will only check for new files but won’t pick up old pictures that where created before auto upload has been activated. So a “upload existing pictures” is still open since that hasn’t been implemented yet. All this is due to limited capacities on all dev sides.
So if you have some time to spare, feel free to chip in, we are all happy to assist you :slight_smile:

Hi,
Do you confirm nobody is working on this, yet?

If not, I’ll get on it.
I keep forgetting about this every time I configure a new upload folder, wondering why the existing files are not uploading :wink:

1 Like

I’m very likely wrong, but this one-liner might do the trick: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/7S5d9ZQmsR/

Will test this WE.

EDIT: A tad more boilerplate code if you want to make this optional: https://github.com/nextcloud/android/pull/2873

Thanks for working on this @koying! :slight_smile: I looped in several people for further discussion on how to implement this from a UX perspective. Kudos for stepping up and working on this important feature!

1 Like

Is this change @ the android-app itself? How can i pull this into my installation?

Yes it is a change request for the Android client and as soon as it is completed and integrated into the main development branch for a release it’ll show up in the corresponding stable release. If you like to have this in your current installation then you would need to know your way around Android app development, run Android Studio, checkout the pull request, compile the app yourself and install it on your device.

Ok, thanks for your answer. I won’t take care of this android-world :wink: What do you thing in which timerange this will come to stable release at playstore?

I can only guess… From my point of view it is too late for the next stable, feature release (3.3.0) since that one is close to going into the RC phase end of August. So with the typical 2 month release cycle for feature releases it might then be part of 3.4.0 with has its RC phase around beginning of November, so mid of November if you are waiting for the stable release, beginning of November in case of the RCs (if you registered as a tester in the play store).
Fastest way would be to simultaneously install the Dev version available via f-droid where it will be available in the nightly build the day after the feature has been integrated with the actual development verion (as-in PR merged).

Any news about this feature?

Nope PR is still open and nobody foudn the time to push this forward, Sorry :frowning:

Your priorities are wrong. :expressionless:

Instead of beeing selfish, you may register on github and help developing a software you are using for free…

Not all of the people who post here are developers and they should not try to fix it themselves. It is important to see what community wishes from the product and this forum is one way to show it.
And maybe I have misunderstood something but Nextcloud does offer paid services (hosted Nextcloud) so it is not just another poor open source project. They even have job listings on their webpage.

Speaking about the particular feature - it is such an important basic feature. Probably for a majority of casual users this is the most important feature they could wish for. If I can’t automatically upload all of my already taken photos from my mobile devices to Nextcloud right after installing the application - why would I even use it?

Nextcloud iOS application supports it and it works great. Not sure if the same feature on iOS was a community contribution and that is why it is missing on Android, or there simply is a lack of planning and each mobile version lives totally separate life without any coordination between the teams.

1 Like