Why do updates take so long?

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.0.9
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 11
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 7.4

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

I rent a (small) VPS at Hetzner and have been using Nexcloud along with an Email server on it for around 3 years.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Run my daily backup, including a tar of the /etc/www/nextcloud folder → takes less than 5 minutes
  2. Start the update (e.g. from 24.0.9 to 24.0.10): cd /var/www/nextcloud/updater && sudo -u www-data php updater.phar
  3. Third step “Create backup” takes several hours (at the moment already 5 hours)
  4. Step 6 “Extracting” usually also takes a long time

If there is no network issue, the update is successful, however I don’t understand why it takes so much time! 7 hours today…

Is this a normal behavior? Is there a way to speed up the process, for example by skipping the backup step? I’m always backing up the nextcloud folder and make a database dump before updating.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t know why it takes so long for you. For me the hole upgrade procedure only takes a few minutes, but yes, you can skip step 3 by using the --no-backup option:

sudo -u www-data php /path/to/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar --no-backup
1 Like

Same for me, the nextcloud update is always very long (several hours) because of the step “create backup” and I don’t understand why.

Do you have shell access? With the command

ncdu

you can find the biggest folders. Maybe there are a lot of unused files. Sometimes there is a backup in a backup backuped. :wink:

Look in your backup structure /path/to/nextcloud/data/updater-***/backups . Post details.

The process taking hours is a bit strange. Can you check the system usage the next time, is it CPU, memory, i/o operations that are the limiting factor?