Which missing apps and features do you want in Nextcloud?

Hi all, glad to see so much interest in this topic. I just want to remind everyone that the point of this thread has been to request Missing Apps or Missing Features. Things are steering off-course from the original intention:

• You have tested a specific app and noticed it is missing some feature or functionality you expected.
  • You have tested Nextcloud itself and found it is missing a specific app altogether.
  • If you find new information (such as github links, etc) please add to your original post. These edits will help everyone follow along. :+1:
    In addition, some of these requests have been fulfilled! So, please update your posts (or link topic replies) as this happens.

If you wish to discuss things, please just click the arrow button in the top left to Reply as Linked Topic in order to continue discussion elsewhere. Thanks! :heart:
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.17.24 AM

1 Like

I’m actually the one that brought this question up in THIS thread, but without answer chased it up on IRC, and it was then put here to see if someone could shed some light on this missing feature :wink: Please take a look there, where I’ve answered your question.

An option to add an watermark to the photos when the photos are shared.

1 Like

I’d like a smarter App-store that can list “new” and “updated” apps. Also ability to filter out already installed apps.

I was told there is already a request on github for this :slight_smile: https://github.com/nextcloud/appstore/issues/625

4 Likes

If you divide over left you can set an expiration date for this release. So far so good.)
What would be absolutely great would be the following function/plugin: I prepare shares (via links) or also to users/groups and define that the share will only work at a freely definable date and time. Alternatively, the info mail for the link and, if applicable, the corresponding password could be sent at the specified time. So not only “valid until” but also “a valid from”. :wink:

Example: Teacher prepares material/releases on the weekend and defines that the material is only accessible on Tuesday at 13:20, because at 13:00 the lesson is finished and the students should only then have access to the material relevant to the lesson.

Or is this a hidden feature, witch I didn’t jet found? :wink:

2 Likes

similarly, it’d be great for items shared by url with an expiration to show up in a calendar.

Click here for instructions if you care to help implement this! Or, click the link above.

For anyone who would be interested in creating such an app, you will be able to:

get a list of IShare with OCP\Share\IManager for each user
convert each IShare into a VObject
register an OCA\DAV\CalDAV\Integration\ICalendarProvider. Check the Deck app own calendar integration to see how it’s done.

I’d also appreciate seeing the expiration in my activity feed.

2 Likes

I would really like Projects to be available via an app.
So the user can at least click a project (in a list of projects the user is a member of) and see all the files/decks/talks etc. connected to it.
Also i would like for an admin (and/or designated users) to be able to create projects and link (group)folders, users circles, and/or remote storage to it. maybe even setup a predefined lobby for talk and a calendar.

1 Like

I recently saw that voice-controlling systems seems to be a big thing for Microsoft, Google etc. And not only controlling your own system and dictating stuff but transcibing audio-files as well. Apparently there are some (KDE)libraries available which would help.
Wouldn’t that be a nice feature to have for upcoming versions?

1 Like

I have a lot of nextclouds installed for a lot of people. Older people often don’t understand how to share a folder. And I find it also not intuitive. You click the three dots (first challenge!), then click on i Details (second challenge – who would suspect that the sharing tab is hidden behind i Details?) and just then there is the sharing tab. Best solution imho: Having a sharing button NEXT to the … – so in top hierarchy. 2nd best solution: next to “i Details” a Sharing button.

Then in general the sharing is a bit buggy – I get a lot of “Error creating share” – this is really bad – imho this should be hidden – it frustrates the users and they think it’s not working and then either get crazy or stop using it.

Also pleaaaaase install a dark theme for this forum. My eyes are burning right now.

Cheers!

4 Likes

You can click on the share symbol near the folder name and than there are less steps.

1 Like

that’s only visible if a folder is already shared, isn’t it?

No. On the desktop with shared and not shared folders you can use the share symbol to go directly to the sharing part.

4 Likes

The thing i’d like is actually quite simpel.
an option to have one-time-only links that expire after they have been clicked once.
For example to share a password.

2 Likes

Yes. Very cool. I think a "“burn after reading” sharing option is easy to implement.

1 Like

I’d like to be able to view all of my Tasks app entries within the Deck app

That could be doable utilizing (in some form) the backup codes when your account has 2FA enabled…
You send the link that is associated with one of the backup codes.
Since the codes can be used only once, the second attempt to connect (clicking) will fail…

1 Like

Something akin to Privnote would be cool.

I would really like to see Categories available in Nextcloud Calendar. I know this wish has been around for a long time but it would be a gamechanger here.
I have events that are personal to me, events that involve my family, events that are to do with different activities, such as sailing, beekeeping, walking. I would like to create a different category for each of these activities, with a different color associated with the category (not just the individual event). All in a single calendar.
The only way to achieve this at the moment is to create a new calendar for each activity. So, I have separate calendars for personal, family, sailing, beekeeping, walking. Soon I will have calendars for coding, astronomy, etc… Too cumbersome!

2 Likes

I’m missing badly some “normal” linux client. AppImage is security nightmare, because admin must give users right to run app from their home directory (thus loosing control over what app can be “installed”). Moreover, app in /home can be modified by malware even without root’s account.

I’m surprised nextcloud still can not deliver proper linux desktop app, packaged as rpm/deb/tgz (fyi owncloud can, a little embarrasing, isn’t it?).

6 Likes

Add the possibility to open documents in Word, Excel and such via ms-word:ofe|u| links