Where is documentation for 'updater.secret'?

I have been using the betas and now RCs of the upcoming NC25 release. After the first update to a beta I have been unable to use the web based updater.

Now when I try to use it I get a message like this:

NCUpdaterError

At first I assumed this was just a bug in the beta and used the CLI to update. However, it has remained through each step, and Iā€™ve done them all. Even with my current attempt to go from RC2 to RC3 I am facing the same issue.

I have tried to find documentation about this without success. I followed the instructions given and created my own hash and plaintext, putting the hash in the ā€˜updater.secretā€™ field which is being insterted into my config file, and putting the plaintext into the password field of the message. It rejects the password and if I check the config file it has a different value for updater.secret than I just entered. It appears that clicking update changes the config value so I donā€™t see how Iā€™m supposed to know what to enter in this field to update successfully from the web interface. I have even tried deleting the updater.secret line entirely and it just shows up again.

I have confirmed with testing that clicking the ā€˜Open updaterā€™ button immediately creates the ā€˜updater.secretā€™ line in the config file if it did not already exists, and puts a new random value in there if it does.

What is the proper procedure to follow when faced with this issue? More to the point? How can I restore the previous functionality where as an admin I can update the server without yet another password?

1 Like

It is a bug in 25. It hasnā€™t been fixed yet.

2 Likes