Where does Nextcloud store User (meta) information?

Hi, I just had severe problems when upgrading Nextcloud from 19.0.4 to 20.0.2.

So, I finally decided to re-install Nextcloud 20.0.2 clean on my shared-hosting server (no SSH access). I managed to use the old database, and copy the file directory.

Now, almost everything works fine, except one thing:

I wanted to create 2 new Users, whose names were used some months ago (but were deleted in-between under NC 19.0.x).

I can create them as Users, however, login is not possible. It always ends up with this error message:

Internal Server Error
The server was unable to complete your request.

If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.

More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details
Remote Address: 2xx.xxx.xxx.xx
Request ID: X8QzSUKxmkB0auz3uU4y7wABFQ
If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.

However, it has definitely NOT to do with my server configuration:
– When I create a fresh-new user, everything works fine.

Multiple attempts (deleting users, re-creating them, making them an admin) were not successful.

So I think there must be some corrupt data stored in the database or the file directory.

Any ideas where the User (meta) data is stored and can be deleted?

Please check if the users directories exist under the Nextcloud data directory. Please also provide information from the Nextcloud log file, which should contain information to find the root cause if the problem.

Thanks, I could solve it: I took the old secret key from my broken NC 19.0.4 installation (stored in config.php) and copied it into the config.php file of my new NC 20.0.2.

Now the “old but newly” created users can login again.

N.B.: Obviously, it is not necessary to copy the ’passwordsalt’ key.