Where does it download to?

and nope nothing!

what am i missing here?

you can download a file and you can go to it on your phone?

is that what is happening here?

Yes. On my phone I can see the downloaded files (the ones with a green checkmark on it), when I naviagte to Android ā†’ com.nextcloud.com ā†’ nextcloud > my account. Iā€™m not sure why it doesnā€™t work on your phoneā€¦

Have you tried a different file manager other than Samsungā€™s? I have never liked the way they show/handle files. Solid File Explorer (link) is okay, but had ads, and there is also a Google File Manager (Files) as well. Astro is a good one too (link).

When you go into the Nextcloud app, does the photo you downloaded load in the app previewer?

The file downloads to a directory that is 50 folders in. That is the issue. Billions upon billions of websites, apps and anything downloads to the downloads folder, hence why it is called that. Putting a download 50 folders into a weirdly unknown bizarre folder is truly silly.

That is the default way how apps are supposed to store their internal files by default. The Nextcloud app is no browser and hence does not use Androidā€™s download manager but pulls and stores files internally for offline usage. But you can choose a different folder with the app settings as shown above.

When you download files via browser from Nextcloud web interface (or elsewhere), youā€™ll find them where the browser is configured to store downloads, which usually uses Androidā€™s download manager and hence most likely stores them to /Download by default.

1 Like

I can understand folks might be confused by the non-intuitive download location. But I found it eventually and my local synced files.

Thank you for pointing out the app does both give that location and the option to change it. All I can suggest is if the OP canā€™t find them there itā€™s a bug particular to them or the files were not properly synced for some reason.

It would be helpful if the OP could see it that way and help us to help them.

My clientā€™s Data storage folder is set to simply /storage/emulated/0 so my files show up under Internal storage/nextcloud/<account>/

Perhaps double check the actual setting in your client since it might be different from what others are telling you.

Now you can use an option Export by tap&hold on a file ā†’ choose Export. it will appear in downloaded phoneā€™s folder.

1 Like

Iā€™m relatively new to Android Nextcloud Client (ANC) and these basic features were confusing to me also.
But after reading this thread and playing around, I now understand the somewhat unintuitive (but ultimately logical) download, sync and export process.

First, for downloading, I did find the location in the client Settings, and when I tried to change it, I was presented with a list of 4 or 5 confusing options, so I just stayed with the default, which is the same that others mentioned.

I was able to find my downloaded files using Files by Google and going to Internal Storage/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client/nextcloud/my-account-name-and-server.

I later went back into ANC to the file that I had downloaded and selected Export, which copied it to the Downloads folder that browsers usually download to (same one mentioned by Adramelramalech).

I then tested the Sync command, by modifying the same Nextcloud file on my desktop, which triggered a sync from the desktop file to Nextcloud. I then selected the same file in ANC, then right-clicked Sync, and the file that I had Downloaded from ANC to the default location was updated.

So ultimately the 3 actions - Download, Export, and Sync do work in ANC, but it took some reading and experimentation to get it all working. :grinning: