What image to install on nextcloud box?

Hello,

I have the nextcloud box with the default image it came from when it shipped.

I have two main issues with it currently.

1. nextcloud.local domain (or any other variation) does not resolve locally [any ideas on what I should do to debug it or document it 'd be appreciated]
  2. Raspberry pi2 stays on an old kernel even when I manually apt update && apt dist-upgrade

I am thinking of trying to solve those problems by installing a newer image as detailed here. But the images available here are of two types: Ubuntu Standard and Ubuntu Core.

Which one (Ubuntu Standard or Ubuntu Core) should I be installing for nextcloud box on the sd card?

Thanks for your help,
Iolaum

Any ideas anyone?

about the first one: do you have a own nameserver/domain or something?

my nextcloudbox (pi2) updated to kernel 4.4 in ubuntu core if you update the system with snappy and apt

4.4 is the default 16.04 kernel. The potential problem is what minor version of 4.4 you have. In case of the rasperry pi mine is stack at
4.4.0-1017-raspi2
despite Canocical having released newer ones.

Any ideas whether the image you use is ubuntu core or ubuntu standard?

I have the same Kernel, I seems to have missed that, whats the specific problem with that kernel?

If you go at this page and Ctrl+F ‘raspi’ you will see that this is an old version. Pretty much all versions after this contain security updates most of them with published exploits. It’s not recommended to run an Internet facing computer with anything other than an up to date kernel (and any other software as well).

I tried to solve this by installing the linux-raspi2 package but it didn’t work and I couldn’t ssh to the rpi2 anymore.

ah okay thanks for the info, good, that I have mine only inside my LAN not directly accessible from the web.

I’m surprised no one addressed this problem. Are all Nextcloud Box devices running with an outdated kernel?

obviously yes unless you compile one or use some backportrepos.

Thats really surprising after much advertising about the boxes security… :slight_smile: Pity. .

What backportrepos do you mean?

Is there a way to get a newer one?

Could you elaborate on 1 please? Internally I use my own domain and used a DNS override to access it after obtaining the IP through my router. Being able to access anything via a hostname/domain is entirely dependent on what your router supports; some won’t work while others will.

On 2, the installed image is a custom build of Ubuntu server put in place temporarily while the updated Snappy Core image was being finalised. Unfortunately it’s been in the finalising stage since late last year due to usability issues. I’d imagine it’s the custom build causing kernel update limitations, but a Linux guru is more than welcome to correct me on that.

If you’re worried, run it through a proxy for now.

I 'd very much like to elaborate but I don’t know what to do/say?

I 've been looking for a troubleshooting guide /checklist but I haven’t found any. Basically if I knew how nextcloudbox intends to resolve the name locally and troubleshoot each step I 'd do it.

What I 've done is to assign a static IP to nextcloudbox and use that to connect the local clients. I haven’t changed any of the default options or haven’t done anything to enable access outside of my LAN. I 'd be happy to post logs/results if I have some guidance on what to do /check.

Regarding the kernel, is there any place I can check to learn when a proper image will get released so I can flash it when it’s ready?

The newest version of the Owncloud Box, which is actually available, is equipped with “core”.
It says on their webpage:

Technology
The Nextcloud box consists of the following parts:1 TB USB3 hard drive from WDLabs
Nextcloud case with room for the drive and a compute board
microUSB charger, cables and adapters, a screw driver and screwsmicro
SD card with Snappy Ubuntu Core as OS, including Apache, MySQL and the latest Nextcloud 10 pre-installed and ready to go
The Box does not come with a Raspberry Pi.The Box is hardware-compatible with the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3, and the oDroid C2.

This seems to be kind of an official version.