Web interface lists file sizes incorrectly

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 15.0.8
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Ubuntu 16.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.
PHP version (eg, 7.1): PHP 7

The issue you are facing:

In the nextcloud web interface, all files are listed as slightly smaller than they appear when synced to a computer or downloaded. For example, an image which appears to be 5.1MB on my desktop shows as 4.9MB on the web interface. A folder which appears to be 450.2MB appears as 429.2MB on the web interface.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. Use web interface
  2. compare file sizes with files on local system

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

I’m guessing your local OS is showing you kilo/mega/giga, and NC/your server is using kibi/mebi/gibi (or vice versa). The file size is really the same, the two metrics are just slightly different.

I would think that too, but when I list the byte size of the file on disk, I get 5,199,450 bytes on disk & 5,268,848 bytes on Nextcloud.

Do you use server-side encryption, this increases the file size.