Viewing fotos from external storage within gallery app via public link does not work

Hello, I’m new in this forum and hope I’ll get any help/hint for my problem :slight_smile:

It seems, the problem already had appeared in the last year, but I did not find a concrete solution besides an update of NC.

For me it seems to be the same problem.
I have installed Nextcloud version 12.0.3 on a NAS System (latest openmediavault version on an HP Microserver) together with a Plex Media Server.
I store all my Fotos on a shared folder with its subfolders on my NAS. In Plex it’s shown as a media library and now I linked one of these Subfolders as an external storage (local) to my Nextcloud. This seems to work and the content is shown in Nextcloud, if I am logged in as a user.
Only one message is shown, if I open this external folder:
“Du hast keine Berechtigung hier Daten hochzuladen oder zu erstellen” - this is ok and it should be like this :slight_smile:

Now I want to share this folder to others by sending the link as mail. If I open this link (not logged in - no account), the folder opens and I can see all the subfolders and all the files/photos within a preview/thumbnail of the fotos. But if I click one of these photos to open it, I get this message:
“Fehler! Konnte keine Vorschau dieser Datei erzeugen. Bitte wechsle zum nächsten Bild, während im Hintergrund das Bild aus der Diashow entfernt wird.”

The log shows:
Error - Exception: Could not locate node linked to ID: 9333

Should it be also possible to view the content if the user is not logged in / has no account? Because I want to share this gallery to friends, which have no account in my NC.

BTW: Sharing content the same way to users, which are not logged in/have no account, works if the content ist not in an external storage!

Best regards,
Mike

Update 07.12.: It works, if you want to view a video in this folder. The video is opened and playing, but it does not work with photos.
Log-details still missing … I know :roll_eyes:

Update 28.03.18 - Nextcloud.log

{“reqId”:“WkfvAUR1qEbmSKXzJeK0”,“level”:0,“time”:“2018-03-28T08:04:48+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:“10.130.20.13”,“user”:“–”,“app”:“cron”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/cron.php”,“message”:“Finished OC\Settings\BackgroundJobs\VerifyUserData job with ID 75 in 1 seconds”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.181 Safari/537.36”,“version”:“13.0.1.1”}
{“reqId”:“AecznyQ4koAVfQpDug78”,“level”:3,“time”:“2018-03-28T08:04:52+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:“10.130.20.13”,“user”:“–”,“app”:“gallery”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/apps/gallery/preview.public/143?width=2000&height=2000&c=ec4dcb62d994ab64d5c6abcd33458c0b&requesttoken=sCYn5WSYvd8y9uLurn6fTqkeut8nMt0TPb8Sge6OTI4%3D%3A%2FklkowGp0JgLlajc7FXoAOdv%2FrxxeusqFto9z4LJPv8%3D&token=hg6MKyNcyPzjHdd”,“message”:“ExceptionCould not locate node linked to ID: 143”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.181 Safari/537.36”,“version”:“13.0.1.1”}
{“reqId”:“AecznyQ4koAVfQpDug78”,“level”:3,“time”:“2018-03-28T08:04:52+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:“10.130.20.13”,“user”:“–”,“app”:“gallery”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/apps/gallery/preview.public/143?width=2000&height=2000&c=ec4dcb62d994ab64d5c6abcd33458c0b&requesttoken=sCYn5WSYvd8y9uLurn6fTqkeut8nMt0TPb8Sge6OTI4%3D%3A%2FklkowGp0JgLlajc7FXoAOdv%2FrxxeusqFto9z4LJPv8%3D&token=hg6MKyNcyPzjHdd”,“message”:“Exception: Could not locate node linked to ID: 143”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.181 Safari/537.36”,“version”:“13.0.1.1”}

Hi,

The short answer: it is definitely possible that external users can view photos, that you shared via public link.

The most likely reason why it doesn’t work for you: you limited the access to the Gallery app to a specific group?

If so, please uncheck the check box and allow the Gallery app for everybody.

I actually don’t know, where the thumnbnails/previews are generated when using external storage, but if the Apache user doesn’t have permissions to create previews on that storage, then the error you’re getting could be caused by that.

Thanks for your answer!
That’s exactly the setting, I have in my App, too - didn’t know of this setting till now :slight_smile:

So that’s not the cause. Do you have any command to check the appropriate rights settings via commandline? Or any other way to check, if it’s a problem with rights?

Hi budy, thanks for your answer.
I run my NC with nginx … how can I check if it’s caused by wrong settings? Sorry, I’m not that Linux expert …

These are my settings for the folder containing the image and the video:
grafik

Video works, Gallery not (thumbnails ok).

I wonder, if this error message is somewhat misleading. It seems, that the Gallery actually does display the previews, but cannot get to the picture, when clicking on it, or when the slideshow is running.

The permissions look good so far, but something must block the access to the folder, where the pictures are stored in and I wonder if its the group permission, which is set to root on the folder “fun” which causes this. Usually, the permissions are www-data:www-data, but that cannot be assumed on an external storage device.

As far as I remember I set the permissions for testing, because I assumed, that maybe this is the cause. But it did not work, neither with original permissions, nor with the new permissions.
BTW: This is a testing environment, so it would be possible to set any other permissions to find a way how it should work, if this would help.

I do think, that you would get better support, if you asked your question under a different topic or subject. This has to be answered by someone who knows the Gallery and since this NC core, it would be maybe beneficial to create an issue on Github for this, or post this issue here on the forums again, using Gallery in the subject, to attract the attention of the appropriate developer(s).

Then please simple edit the category, so we don’t have duplicate threads here :wink:

Okay… suggest one… :wink: I couldn’t find any category related to the Gallery app.

True, that’s my problem … set it to app and optional external_storage … but don’t know, if this is better :slight_smile:
Renamed issue, maybe this hit’s the point better.

I changed the category.

Could you show us your configuration of your mount in the external app settings?

Folder overview in NC:

Setting for adding external storage:

Setting external storage:

NC Version:
grafik

Sorry, it wasn’t precise enough what I wanted :smiley:

grafik

What does it look like there?