Video could not be opened because the type is not supported

When I try to preview video in mov format i get this error. The mov is the format that iphone creates.

“video could not be opened because the type is not supported”

any idea how to fix this

Thank you

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue and as there was no reply I thought I’d add my comments.

I recently started using the iOS upload feature so have all my iPhone pictures and videos automatically uploaded to my Nextcloud 13.0.6 server.

Only problem is, the video_files.mov won’t actually play in the Nextcloud WUI.

Any ideas how I get them to play?

Thanks

Hi , guys. My *.mov video files from iphone can’t open nextcloud to play.
Any ideas? Thx, have a nice day!)

Video could not be opened because the type is not supported - i get this error.

Hi,
Could you tell :

• What is the device, OS and browser/player with wich you try to playback your videos
  • What is your NC server : device , OS, webserver and NC version.

You can check this thread too, it might be related to your issue:

Chrome 75.0.3770.100
Mac os high sierra
Nextcloud installed on ubuntu server by snap
video uploaded frome iphone X

I tried to playback my own iPhone *.mov videos through Chrome 75 on windows and it fails. Not with the same error, but loops on a black screen.
So it seems that Chrome is not compatible (besides: tested ok with Firefox v60.7 on windows)
Do you playback properly mp4 videos, like the default nextcloud.mp4 file with Chrome on MacOS ? If yes then your NC server config should be ok, and it’s a compatibility issue between OS/Browser and video format.
Check this link to have more info : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video
In my case, I usually transcode all my iPhone videos to mp4 (h264/aac) to ensure maximum compatibilité with other configs, so I can share videos without further questions.