Version 2.6.2 in Debian Jessie

Hello. My Linux distribution is Debian GNU/Linux 8.11 (jessie). When I start Nextcloud I get the message that Version 2.6.2 is available. But in the package-manager in my system this version is not available. Is there a way to install it anyway? Thank you for your answer Hermann Dammann

Не получиться. Используйте лучше CentOS7 minimal, чем Debian.

Hi Herrmann,

first of all you should consider to upgrade your Debian to 10.3, the current stable release. Due to security reasons, you should also upgrade your PHP Version to 7.3 from the debian repos (for Debian 10.3 (buster)) and the current stable release of nextcloud needs at least PHP 7.2 as far as I know.

Additional you should not install nextcloud from Debian repositories. The recommended way is to setup your web server (apache2 or nginx) from debian repositories and install nextcloud with the official zip. You can get it from https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-18.0.1.zip

If you have further questions send me a PM

Hi everyone !!

I recommend that you install the Nextcloud desktop by flatpak.
The update is not available at the moment but it will arrive soon.

I agree with @MS-PL, you should to upgrade your Debian to 10.

After the first Installation, which should be done whenever possible manually and not via apt (you never get the actual version there) you upgrafe with the admin-account. When logged in go over the menu to settings. There you find an overview over your system. You see the security issues which you should work on, and below what version is installed, and what is available. There you can dtart the upgrade process. After the upgrade select finish in browser, there finish on klick on button. Done. With apt you never get an actual nextcloud.

Greetings,

Anzinger Christian

Sorry, I don’t understand.
He talk about Nextcloud Desktop, no ?

2 Likes

Hi, how do you did the intallation, via deb or repository? In Ubuntu, I had installed via repos and I have the 2.6.2 version.

In my Ubuntu/Mint system, I have this line in my sources.list:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nextcloud-devs/client/ubuntu bionic main
and I got the 2.6.3 update yesterday.

1 Like

According to this link, it seems possible to take a matching Ubuntu PPA (follow the instructions but change the ‘distribution’ backwards until one matches).
On the other hand, if you can update to Debian 10, the Nextcloud client is in the distribution, so no workaround using Ubuntu PPA needed.
Using Fatpak or other not-DEB-aware methods may work, but I would not recommend it.

In Linux Mint 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04 derived), from the ppa repository [see https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nextcloud-client-on-debian-and-ubuntu ] I’ve got right now the new 2.6.3 version for the distro. The same repo delivers the Debian package.

You can download the appimage from the nextcloud website.

wIv distribution linux qar yu’ pIray’am ghewmey vIHarpu’. ‘ej ‘e’ CentOS qaqmeH ghu’ law’ Debian vuD personal jatlh.
(Sorry in Klingon) :wink:

Running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and with today apt update and apt upgrade the 2.6.2 version installed.

Bye for now

Regarding the linux desktop, I prefer the App Image found here:

https://download.nextcloud.com/desktop/releases/Linux/latest

Fairly easy to “install” and maintain. All you do is download it, set the permissions to allow the file to run as a program, and voila. I also auto start it by creating an Application Autostart item. Any time an update is needed just grab the new App Image, replace the old one (setting the permissions to allow the file to run as a program again) and update the Auto Start item. It’s pretty slick.

Hi Hermann

but the latest version of Nextcloud is now 18.01!?

Br

moj

Thank you all for the helpful answers. I will first upgrade my distro to Devuan and then continue watching. Please consider this conversation resolved. Thank you very much.

Muss

Hi,
version 2.6.2? Are you sure? Nextcloud is already at v18.x In your case I would update Debian to latest version if you can. Even then Debian is bad with php and apache versions. It is mostly a good idea to use the specific repositories for php which provide you the latest php also for Debian. Same for Apache and if necessary mariadb (mysql). Easiest way for you would be to install a Nextcloud snap. It provides everything needed in one package and should work out of the box. Then you do not need to take care of Apache, mariadb and php versions. It will be updated with the snap afaik. This was not possible in my case because my provider seem to not support container and I cannot change kernel for Linux. How to get your data in the latest Nextcloud is another question. That could become difficult :smiling_face:

Muss

February 19

Hello. My Linux distribution is Debian GNU/Linux 8.11 (jessie). When I start Nextcloud I get the message that Version 2.6.2 is available. But in the package-manager in my system this version is not available. Is there a way to install it anyway? Thank you for your answer Hermann Dammann

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

-------- Originalnachricht --------

This is about the client, that just got an update from 2.6.2 to 2.6.3

Oh, OK, misunderstood. I do not use the Client yet. Sorry.

eehmke

February 21

This is about the client, that just got an update from 2.6.2 to 2.6.3

In Reply To

Robert_Bachmann

February 21

Hi, version 2.6.2? Are you sure? Nextcloud is already at v18.x In your case I would update Debian to latest version if you can. Even then Debian is bad with php and apache versions. It is mostly a good idea to use the specific repositories for php which provide you the latest php also for Debian. S…

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

-------- Originalnachricht --------

Hallo Hermann,

das problem ist schon eine Weile her. Bei mir kam die Meldung "Step 3 is
currently in process. Please reload this page later”

Darauf habe ich im Ordner /data/updaterocxxxxxxxx" die Datei .step
gelöscht und ein neues Update ausgeführt. Dann lief es.

Gruß Arno