Use ipv6 for internet access

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 21.0.4.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian GNU/Linux 10. 5.10.63-v8+ (aarch64)
NCP version: v1.43.3

My Nextcloud server is up running now and already setup with a DDNS and port forwarding so that I can access it via internet. However, I learned that my ISP uses CGNAT and my WAN IP is randomly assigned to this. So there are days, I can access my server via internet but there are days that I can’t.

I notice that my ISP gives me an IPv6 address when I’m on CGNAT or sometime if not on CGNAT. I don’t really understand much about networks but can I use the IPv6 address instead to work around the CGNAT issue? Is there any guide on this?

I’ve already searched a bit and learned that port forwarding isn’t a thing on IPv6. So I’m wondering how we can configure that and which IPv6 address is relevant - my Pi or WAN.

I’ve used Nextcloud for years now but I’m very new to self hosting
Thank you

CGNAT only applies to ipv4. Your provider could give you always full ipv6 independently if you are using CGNAT or not.

If you always have ipv6, you can provide Nextcloud via ipv6 only (meaning all the clients need to have networks that support ipv6). Unfortunately, that is not the case on a global scale, perhaps in your country and the operators that you are using, this could be possible.
Not sure if you can configure that out of the box for NCP, technically it should be possible.

Yes, that’s partly what I understand so far. I’m just hoping that I can use IPv6 as alternative whenever I am on a CGNAT network but I guess that’s not easy to do or even possible. So far, I get a CGNAT IP every other day so it’s a bit annoying :sweat_smile: