Use as admin or regular user?

Hi,
I’m testing nextcloud on a raspberry pi and wonder if it’s better (from a security perspective) to create 2 accounts, one admin account for, well administration, and a regular user account to use on daily basis with multiple client devices?

thanks
dk

As a general rule it is better to use only as few rights as possible. If you are the only user and your data are the most interesting thing on your server, it is enough to have your account. Or if he manages to hack your password and 2-factor-authentication, he will likely be able to do this for the admin account as well. I would first focus on the general system security (only run services that you need, configure these services in a secure way, check your logs regularly, …)

1 Like

I forgot to mention that I use nextcloudpi as a base, so services should be in a secure configuration already. I’ll go with a separate user account then, thinking of a possibly lost mobile device it seems better to not have admin access from such a device.

dk

well the most dangerous part of working as admin or superuser is one’s own stupidity :slight_smile:
I prefer to work as limited user, using my priviledged admin account only for updates.

1 Like