Upload returns Bad request after upload of many files

Nextcloud version: 11
Operating system and version : Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Apache or nginx version : Apache/2.4.7
PHP version: 7.0.14-2
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error and can you replicate it?:
yes
The issue you are facing:
I’ve been uploading a lot of photos to my Nextcloud server. Now, suddenly, I can’t upload any more. Neither from web interface or app on android phone. All I get i Bad Request. I know for a fact, that my external storage has plenty of available space.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:
ErrorPHPsession_write_close():
Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current
setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/sessions) at
/var/www/html/lasserh.dk/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Session/Internal.php#1042017-01-09T11:44:38+0100ErrorPHPsession_write_close():
write failed: No space left on device (28) at
/var/www/html/lasserh.dk/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Session/Internal.php#1042017-01-09T11:44:38+0100ErrorPHPsession_write_close():
Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current
setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/sessions) at
/var/www/html/lasserh.dk/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Session/Internal.php#1042017-01-09T11:44:37+0100ErrorPHPsession_write_close():
write failed: No space left on device (28) at
/var/www/html/lasserh.dk/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Session/Internal.php#1042017-01-09T11:44:37+0100ErrorcoreError while running background job (OC\User\NoUserException): Attempted to initialize mount points for null user and no user in session2017-01-09T11:26:49+0100

reading through your error I noticed this:

maybe it really is just a full disk?

Thanks for your reply Sackla
It’s a ‘yes’ and a ‘no’ to your suggestion:
I found out, that /dev/root on my banana pro device was full, and this was causing the problem. The Nextcloud server does not use the sd card as storage, however, but a mounted external hdd, /dev/sda, which has 277G of free space. When I freed up some space on /dev/root everything worked again.
I don’t know why /dev/root is important, when Nextcloud data files aren’t stored there, but if someone has an explanation, I’d love to learn about it.

I’m now going to find out, how to keep /dev/root from clogging up. Could it be log files? Anyone know of packages, I can safely remove - perhaps the gui (as I don’t need it).

Thanks

best guess: something is writing it’s logs into /dev/root. php, apache, mysql,…

Makes sense. Thanks very much :slight_smile: