Upgrading Pico CMS

I’m having trouble upgrading Pico CMS.
The error messgaes is “symlinks not allowed”.

The images show my Data Directory.

If I remove the two soft links, run the upgrade it works.
Then of course put back the two softlinks.

I’m running Nextcloud on Ubuntu 20.04
(I also had the problem on 19.10)

Nextcloud version: 20, upgrading from 20 RC 2, though I’ve also had the problem with other versions.

Current (i.e., upgraded) version of Pico CMS 1.0.10

Can this be fixed or is there an alternative workaround?

Best wishes
Terry

Please provide the full error message including a stack trace.

The full error message that appears on the screen is shown.

How do I enable the stack trace?

Best wishes
Terry

Appears where? Your screenshot shows a terminal, not Nextcloud. Check your PHP error.log and Nextcloud’s log.

Apologies for the delay. apps.nextsore.com was down for a while.

The screen shot was to show the softlinks issue.

As it was working, I uninstalled it and re installed it via the command line:
hewitt@zfsserver01:/var/www/nextcloud$ sudo -u www-data php occ app:install cms_pico
Error: Following symlinks is not allowed

/var/log/php7.4-fpm.log contains nothing

tail nextcloud.log produces

{“reqId”:“UPl4hI02LU1KuiJRwolZ”,“level”:1,“time”:“2020-10-12T09:50:06+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cms_pico”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Checking Pico CMS requirements \u2026”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.0.9”}
{“reqId”:“UPl4hI02LU1KuiJRwolZ”,“level”:1,“time”:“2020-10-12T09:50:06+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cms_pico”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Syncing Pico CMS app data folder \u2026”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.0.9”}
{“reqId”:“UPl4hI02LU1KuiJRwolZ”,“level”:3,“time”:“2020-10-12T09:50:06+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“core”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Following symlinks is not allowed (’/volumes/H-v002/files/cloud//Photography’ -> ‘/volumes/H-v002/Photography/’ not inside ‘/volumes/H-v002/files/cloud/’)”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.0.9”}

Is there anything else you need?

Best wishes

Terry

Why doesn’t your nextcloud.log include a stack trace? :confused: Weird… Try enabling debug mode in your config/config.php and switch to log level 1 by adding the following to your config/config.php. Don’t forget to remove this afterwards again.

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  // other config
  'debug' => true,
  'loglevel' => 1,
);

Then try again and please provide another copy of nextcloud.log.

The only place where a exception with this error message is thrown is in Nextcloud’s local storage implementation, i.e. Nextcloud is prohibiting the use of symlinks. So the underlying issue is not with the app, but with Nextcloud. Without an stack trace I can’t reproduce why the method in question is even called, maybe we can circumvent it.

cms_pico is the only module that give this error. Nextcloud files is working OK.

made nextcloud.log empty before I started this.
did the changes you requested in config.php

sudo -u www-data php occ app:install cms_pico
Error: Following symlinks is not allowed

hewitt@zfsserver01:/var/www/nextcloud$ more /volumes/H-v002/files/cloud/nextcloud.log

hewitt@zfsserver01:/var/www/nextcloud$ more /volumes/H-v002/files/cloud/nextcloud.log
{“reqId”:“5sXCOhWoccKGjDNVZSzk”,“level”:1,“time”:“2020-10-12T11:17:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cms_pico
“,“method”:””,“url”:"–",“message”:“Checking Pico CMS requirements \u2026”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.0.9”}
{“reqId”:“5sXCOhWoccKGjDNVZSzk”,“level”:1,“time”:“2020-10-12T11:17:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“cms_pico
“,“method”:””,“url”:"–",“message”:“Syncing Pico CMS app data folder \u2026”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.0.9”}
{“reqId”:“5sXCOhWoccKGjDNVZSzk”,“level”:3,“time”:“2020-10-12T11:17:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“core”,“m
ethod”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Following symlinks is not allowed (’/volumes/H-v002/files/cloud//Photography’ -> ‘/volum
es/H-v002/Photography/’ not inside ‘/volumes/H-v002/files/cloud/’)”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“20.0.0.9”}:

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Terry

cms_pico is the only module that give this error. Nextcloud files is working OK.

The exception is thrown in Nextcloud, not in the app. We can’t do anything about this. There are just two possibilities:

1. this check is a left-over and should be removed (i.e. an issue with Nextcloud), or
  2. this check is the intended behavior, i.e. Nextcloud intended to disallow symlinks and not enforcing this (i.e. the fact that you can indeed use symlinks elsewhere) is a bug (i.e. an issue with Nextcloud)

In both cases it’s a bug in Nextcloud, not the app. Please open a new issue on nextcloud/server to clarify which one is true.

Still no stack trace :unamused: Without an stack trace I can’t track down why this code is even called. I assume it’s due to a filesystem operation like mkdir, i.e. nothing we can circumvent somehow.

Please file a new bug report on nextcloud/server as described above and post a link here for reference.

Ok, thanks for your help.
I’ve submitted a bug report reference

Installing cms_pico with occ fails with Error: Following symlinks is not allowed #23394

Best wishes
Terry