Upgrading php7 to 7.2

Hi all,

Its bout time i upgrade my nextcloud php from 7 to 7.1 or 7.2, what version you think i should go for?

Would you advise me to do any backups of my backend mariadb database before

I have remi on my centos 7 server, thats how i installed php 7 so is it just a case of installing 7.2 ie yum install -y php

Many thanks,
Rob

Yes please, always do backups before you change important things on your system.

Make sure you run NC 13, since NC 12 does not support php 7.2. There have been a couple of issues regarding the setup of php 7.2 but it was related to how the system handles such upgrades and not issues with NC. Feel free to check the php 7.2-tag (I added one to your topic, just click on it to see other topics).

1 Like

Jep PHP7.2 working flawlessly here on my NC13. But it also depends on the used apps, I guess. According to some research I did some months ago, PHP7.2 has some performance advantages over 7.1. Anyway moving back to 7.1 e.g. is really no big deal in unexpected case of issues. Backup of course should always be in place.

As i have the remi repo can i just uninstall the current php i installed and then do this -

1. Turn on EPEL repo, enter:
    sudo yum -y install epel-release
  2. Turn on Remi repo i.e.remi-php72:
    sudo yum-config-manager --enable remi-php72
  3. Refresh repository:
    sudo yum update
  4. Install php version 7.2, run:
    sudo yum install php

all good in the hood, i hope!

as i had remi 7 already installed as a repo all i did was these commands

yum-config-manager --enable remi-php72

yum update

once done i did a

php -v

now its on 7.2

EDIT - now do you think i should upgrade mariadb?